Clutch Not Covered Warranty?

HONBOY1

Established Member
I have my '03 cobra in the shop right now with only 7,000 miles on it. The shifting was notchy and couldn't get it into reverse. Ford just called me and told me they were going to replace the reverse lockout and the tsb. While on the phone with the service manager, he told me that my clutch was like 60% gone and said he could replace it now while the trans is apart for $500.00. I told him that I thought the clutch was warrantied for 12,000 miles. He stated it was warrantied only for 6,000 miles! What should I do? Is this true only being warrantied for 6,000 miles? Also, couldn't the tsb be the reason for the premature wear? Please give me some feedback guys, I only have an hour to decide if I want to pay them $500.00 for a new clutch!!!! :shrug:

ModsAway

Established Member
I assume (though do not know) that the clutch would be covered under the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. However that being said it would only be covered if the malfunction was due to a defect not just wear and tear.

If you drive your car hard (or poor manual transmission skills) and smoke your clutch then of course Ford would not replace it. The trouble with wearable items like this is even if it is malfunctioning it is very hard to prove what the cause is and to get Ford to pay for it.

In the end it is up to you.... If I were you I may consider it (if the price is right Im not sure as I have not looked into it) but I would not be putting a ford clutch in there. Since the transmission is out anyway I would most likely take the opportunity to install a better after market clutch for when I up the power.

HONBOY1

Established Member
I don't have any mods besides a cai and exhaust! I bought the car with 5,000 miles on it and I only put 2,000 on it. The clutch had little play when I bought it so the previous owner probably f#$ked it up! I baby this thing. Anyone suggest a good clutch, what brand and where?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I had clutch problems with my 02 GT. I was told by ford it was covered only until 12K. It may be different on the terminators due to the higher power levels and need for stronger (usually not as long lasting) clutch materials. Read your owners manual it should say.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
$500 for a new clutch is that with labor? Is the trans already out of the car? If the clutch is worn badly ask to see it, Im not sure but I have the feeling youre getting raked over the coals on this one.

BTW I just paid $150 for an 03 clutch from D&D Performance.

HONBOY1

Established Member
Hey guys thanks for the input! This site always saves my butt because of everyones input! gray03cobra told me to call svt in which I did. The svt guy told me that if the tsb goes bad the clutch will wear along with it and it should be replaced under warranty. He also stated that the clutch was covered for 12,000 miles anyway and that ford is full of crap. I called back the service guy at ford and told him this. He said he didn't know that and advised that the regular mustangs are covered for only 6,000 miles. He told me he would check with svt himself which he should have done in the first place. He calls me back an hour later apoligizing stating that my clutch would and is covered under warranty. I think this asshole was trying to get some money out of me. I just thank God and you guys for your help because this is a bad time right now to be coming up with $500.00!!!!!! Peace!

svtnos1011

STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD
Established Member
thank god u called SVT.... definately seems like he was trying to make some money off you. this ford dealership by me had tried the same thing to my brother and his 99GT... he had just put in a new clutch, and they were like oh its time to change the clutch its really worn out :bash:

03SilverCoupe

Established Member
sweet my 03 is about to go back to the shop for its 3rd throw out bearing and I will be insisting they replace the clutch with 18k on the car.

HONBOY1

Established Member
Originally posted by 03SilverCoupe
sweet my 03 is about to go back to the shop for its 3rd throw out bearing and I will be insisting they replace the clutch with 18k on the car.
When you got yours back did the front end clunk when you went to break? Everytime I stop or take off, it feels like the transmission is about to fall out. I need to take it back to the dealer. They'll probably say it's the exhaust hitting like they said before when the rear was making popping noises. I told them that it was doing it before I had put the exhaust on. What is the popping noise from the rear anyway? Help me out here guys!

HONBOY1

Established Member
When you got yours back did the front end clunk when you went to break? Everytime I stop or take off, it feels like the transmission is about to fall out. I need to take it back to the dealer. They'll probably say it's the exhaust hitting like they said before when the rear was making popping noises. I told them that it was doing it before I had put the exhaust on. What is the popping noise from the rear anyway? Help me out here guys!

HONBOY1

Established Member
When you got yours back did the front end clunk when you went to break? Everytime I stop or take off, it feels like the transmission is about to fall out. I need to take it back to the dealer. They'll probably say it's the exhaust hitting like they said before when the rear was making popping noises. I told them that it was doing it before I had put the exhaust on. What is the popping noise from the rear anyway? Help me out here guys!!

HONBOY1

Established Member
When you got yours back did the front end clunk when you went to break? Everytime I stop or take off, it feels like the transmission is about to fall out. I need to take it back to the dealer. They'll probably say it's the exhaust hitting like they said before when the rear was making popping noises. I told them that it was doing it before I had put the exhaust on. What is the popping noise from the rear anyway? Help me out here guys!!

03SilverCoupe

Established Member
No my car didnt make a poppingnoise in the front, but my car has always done the pop/tink in the rear. Which I think is caused by bad half shafts. Dont confuse the pop/tink with the clunk. The clunk is just driveline lash because of the crappy rubber bushings in the IRS.

Darcsun

Established Member
I worked at a Ford dealership for a while. First question I had when I bought the Cobra was the clutch warrenty. The answer is 12k miles.

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
I see it more then often that service dealers know little about what their working on.
I saw it left in right when I had SHO's. Everything was always void since I had somesort of aftermarket 3.2L yamaha engine in my taurus :rollseyes

And now many ships know little about the differences between all the different models of cobra's.

Users who are viewing this thread