Clutch not Warrantied.. 2500 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Well.. I went to get the clutch taken care of.. they say after a year no coverage on "wear items" I own 7 cars.. all Fords.. and I have a car that I don't drive.. obviously by the miles.. and when I do drive.. I just cruise it.. I haven't been to the track ever..

As far as mentioning the 7 cars. I am not trying to brag.. I am just making a point that Ford doesn't care.. all 7 cars are considered high end to ford.. I have them serviced like crazy.. own ESP and maintenance plans from ford on all except the shelby I have ESP only.. because the maintenance wouldn't make sense not driving it that often.. so the dealer knows how I drive my cars.. and care for them.. I buy cars so I don't have to get my others dirty.. I have major OCD.. I am on my second ST and never had a clutch issue..

I know that some will defend.. but I have to say.. I am disappointed..

I can't say Ill never buy another Ford.. but it does make me hesitate... and there are a lot of options these days.. such as

GT500- Replace with a HellCat or Z06 I know they all have issues.. but people I know have said they have zero issues getting them fixed

15 f250 Platinum - Ram 1500 or 2500 or maybe a new GM Truck

Focus ST - VW Golf R Mercedes or a BMW

Taurus SHO - CTS-V not a brand new one but a nice used one.. BMW

Explorer Sport - A bit harder.. it is really a nice car... and fast.. roomy.. but maybe a BMW SUV

Raptor - Well.. not much out there.. speaks to why I could sell mine for sticker today..

15 Mustang GT Convertible - go to BMW.. or a new Camaro.. I might get a Z 28.. they are heavily discounted right now

Thing is I have always been a happy and Good ford owner.. and never looked at anything else.. but I for sure will now.. and be more thorough when I am looking.. make sure I take a look at what is out there..

I know all brands have service issues.. but I just never had those issues with Ford.. and thought I never would.. when I heard others I just thought it was a bad service dept or advisor.. but this guy I use for everything.. never a problem.. so I guess if I have problem with ford.. I might as well start to look at other brands all things being equal.

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Try a different dealer?

I could.. it is just a gamble.. I am so over protective of my cars and a comfortable with my car being at this one.. you know the white knuckle ride it is leaving a car like this at a dealer.. how many stories have you heard about cars like this being ragged on at the dealer by the techs.. even me checking miles in and out they have a reason with a clutch to have test drive miles.. here in Dallas there are many.. many ford dealers.. but I have tried them from time to time.. and I always go back to this one.. and at least he told me ahead of time .. another might pull it in tear it down and then try and get me for 2k..

I guess Ill just buy a clutch and do it myself.. I had started a thread a while back asking about clutch recommendations.. and people recommend I get it warrantied.. I thought might as well.. rather than spend the money.. but looks like time to pony up.. Ill get a MGW and a clutch and handle it at the same time.. I just need to figure up what clutch is best.. no mods.. also what all I need.. I have no performance mods..

railroad

Established Member
Get in touch with one of the Ford ladies that help owners address issues on this site. A little after the fact, but I contribute the problem to the clutch assist spring. I had my clutch pedal not return to the top, when new, while releasing slowly after startup.

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Get in touch with one of the Ford ladies that help owners address issues on this site. A little after the fact, but I contribute the problem to the clutch assist spring. I had my clutch pedal not return to the top, when new, while releasing slowly after startup.

Thanks.. I will try and get in touch.. my clutch just is slipping badly .. second gear is the worst when coming from a decent 1st gear pull..

Imatk

Established Member
That's too bad, but after a year I imagine most other companies you listed would likely have told you the same thing on a clutch.

I'm sure the dealer is on the up and up since you've used them many times and are happy with them. Just an issue with time-frame and technicality.

Most people drive their cars much more than you in a year and so that's why they have these things designated for the "average" car.

I bought my '07 with 2600 miles on it and it was already 8 years old. I knew the clutch in the car had issues (or could have issues) with warping, as well as other documented things like the harmonic balancer etc. so I replaced it and other things that I knew needed replacing.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

FWIW I would go with the McLeod if you really want to go with an aftermarket clutch.

I went with the stock 2013/14 clutch for mine... very good price and very good clutch, especially for a stock car.

The McLeod will make a bit more noise than your stock clutch. So if you're anal like me you may not like that.

Good luck man.

Last edited:

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Go buy that Bemmer and then take it to the dealer for a wear item that is out of warranty and see how that goes…lol….

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
That's too bad, but after a year I imagine most other companies you listed would likely have told you the same thing on a clutch.

I'm sure the dealer is on the up and up since you've used them many times and are happy with them. Just an issue with time-frame and technicality.

Most people drive their cars much more than you in a year and so that's why they have these things designated for the "average" car.

I bought my '07 with 2600 miles on it and it was already 8 years old. I knew the clutch in the car had issues (or could have issues) with warping, as well as other documented things like the harmonic balancer etc. so I replaced it and other things that I knew needed replacing.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

FWIW I would go with the McLeod if you really want to go with an aftermarket clutch.

I went with the clutch that's in your car for mine... very good price and very good clutch, especially for a stock car.

The McLeod will make a bit more noise than your stock clutch. So if you're anal like me you may not like that.

Good luck man.

I understand.. the point about the other brands is I never looked at other brands.. because I felt that Ford seeing me being loyal in turn would be able to look at a situation and apply some common sense.. But now that I see they do not.. then to me all brands are equal.. If I am not going to get any consideration for my loyalty then I might as well buy other brands..

So.. now i will cancel my GT350.. I will cancel my RS.. I will let them know Im out on the Raptor.. and I will continue to be out.. I will try other brands with no expectations since I shouldn't have any with Ford..

As far as the clutch goes.. thank you for the recommendation.. I am anal and do not care for the car to have a lot of extra noise.. I may go with a factory replacement..

What all do I need to replace.. I know the clutch.. but pressure plate as well or resurface that.. do the bolts need to be replaced.. does the throwout bearing and the clutch slave cylinder? I have a great parts account with a dealer.. I will get a good price on all the parts I need.. I just need to know what all I need to buy..

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Well.. I went to get the clutch taken care of.. they say after a year no coverage on "wear items" I own 7 cars.. all Fords.. and I have a car that I don't drive.. obviously by the miles.. and when I do drive.. I just cruise it.. I haven't been to the track ever.. .
so you don't want to brag about your 7 cars but then go on to list them and possible replacements ... nice job of not bragging ... and how do you reconcile the highlighted in red with what you say below?

Thanks.. I will try and get in touch.. my clutch just is slipping badly .. second gear is the worst when coming from a decent 1st gear pull..
you may not take it to the track but I know a LOT of people who beat the shit out of their car on the street. there is more to the story here and frankly it IS a wear port not a warranty issue. clutches are like brakes ... use them enough and they will wear out in a year. use them too much or the wrong way and they will wear out faster. My none says "decent 1st gear pull" is understated by a factor of 5 at least

Imatk

Established Member
What all do I need to replace.. I know the clutch.. but pressure plate as well or resurface that.. do the bolts need to be replaced.. does the throwout bearing and the clutch slave cylinder? I have a great parts account with a dealer.. I will get a good price on all the parts I need.. I just need to know what all I need to buy..

You'll probably not have to replace the flywheel... can't see how that would be an issue.

How has the clutch gone out? Does it just slip or will it not engage in any gear?

If it were me I would buy everything needed and send back whatever isn't needed.

Here's where I get my stuff:

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/ford/mustang/dr3z7b546a/2013-year/shelby-gt500-trim/5-8l-v8-gas-engine/clutch-cat/clutch-and-flywheel-scat/?part_name=clutch

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/ford/mustang/ar3z6375a/2013-year/shelby-gt500-trim/5-8l-v8-gas-engine/clutch-cat/clutch-and-flywheel-scat/?part_name=flywheel

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/ford/mustang/dr3z7a508a/2013-year/shelby-gt500-trim/5-8l-v8-gas-engine/clutch-cat/hydraulic-system-scat/?part_name=slave-cylinder

Those are all the parts you will need.

Probably don't need the flywheel but it's there just in case.

The throwout bearing is the same thing as the slave.

The clutch and pressure plate come as one unit. All of the bolts can be re-used.

Last edited:

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Go buy that Bemmer and then take it to the dealer for a wear item that is out of warranty and see how that goes…lol….

I know how it will go.. they won't cover it.. but obviously you don't read.. I said I won't have any expectations.. you think it is funny.. I do too.. I think it is funny that you find it acceptable.. a wear item with 2500 miles.. an item that has many threads about how failure prone it is.. And just so you know.. I have a BMW for my wife,... and they covered the rear breaks after a year.. why.. because they applied common sense.. I had no expectation from them.. but people like you are what lets it happen..

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
so you don't want to brag about your 7 cars but then go on to list them and possible replacements ... nice job of not bragging ... and how do you reconcile the highlighted in red with what you say below?

you may not take it to the track but I know a LOT of people who beat the shit out of their car on the street. there is more to the story here and frankly it IS a wear port not a warranty issue. clutches are like brakes ... use them enough and they will wear out in a year. use them too much or the wrong way and they will wear out faster. My none says "decent 1st gear pull" is understated by a factor of 5 at least

Funny... you ride with me.. you see what I do.. amazing how people feel as if they know everything.. they just assume that someone is understating.. I would say if I ripped on it.. I wouldn't go in and say I hadn't.. what is the point.. a decent pull is not a ragging it out.. a car with 662 hp and I can't do a pull in it and that is considered ragging it.. I am way harder on my focus.. that I rag out.. I ride the hell out of it..

I guess all the others with premature clutch failure on these cars are all liars as well.. more to the story of a car that sits.. have no desire to rag this car.. I drive it to go out.. take my caught driving in it.. but believe what you want .. I know how I drive it..

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
You'll probably not have to replace the flywheel... can't see how that would be an issue.

How has the clutch gone out? Does it just slip or will it not engage in any gear?

If it were me I would buy everything needed and send back whatever isn't needed.

Here's where I get my stuff:

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/ford/mustang/dr3z7b546a/2013-year/shelby-gt500-trim/5-8l-v8-gas-engine/clutch-cat/clutch-and-flywheel-scat/?part_name=clutch

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/ford/mustang/ar3z6375a/2013-year/shelby-gt500-trim/5-8l-v8-gas-engine/clutch-cat/clutch-and-flywheel-scat/?part_name=flywheel

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/ford/mustang/dr3z7a508a/2013-year/shelby-gt500-trim/5-8l-v8-gas-engine/clutch-cat/hydraulic-system-scat/?part_name=slave-cylinder

Those are all the parts you will need.

Probably don't need the flywheel but it's there just in case.

The throwout bearing is the same thing as the slave.

The clutch and pressure plate come as one unit. All of the bolts can be re-used.

Thanks for some good input.. It just slips.. it drives good unless your coming a little hard out of another gear.. it will slip..

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Honestly.. can the thread just be closed.. Ill figure it out.. it gets tiring dealing with some of these people.. reminds me of why I stepped away to begin with... to some people it is always the persons fault.. could never be a premature failure.. everyone that owns a GT500 just hammers the dog shit out of it.. I mean I just kill it.. everyday... I wear it out.. I just don't feel like starting a thread that turns into a shit storm.. I don't like bickering or defending.. people always like to find something to fight about or attack people.. I went to the dealer and was disappointed.. that is all .. anyone that has spent a lot of money with a company feels like they should get a little something better... I could see if I was there all the time with my cars asking for things to get fixed that are not covered.. but I never am..

Imatk

Established Member
Honestly.. can the thread just be closed.. Ill figure it out.. it gets tiring dealing with some of these people.. reminds me of why I stepped away to begin with... to some people it is always the persons fault.. could never be a premature failure.. everyone that owns a GT500 just hammers the dog shit out of it.. I mean I just kill it.. everyday... I wear it out.. I just don't feel like starting a thread that turns into a shit storm.. I don't like bickering or defending.. people always like to find something to fight about or attack people.. I went to the dealer and was disappointed.. that is all .. anyone that has spent a lot of money with a company feels like they should get a little something better... I could see if I was there all the time with my cars asking for things to get fixed that are not covered.. but I never am..

I completely understand your point dude. I wish Ford (and other companies) WOULD apply some common sense in situations like this but it's often a "one-size-fits-all" attitude.

You could contact Deysha on here in customer relations... she may be able to help you out.

There are a lot of "experts" on here but ya know :)

If it's just slipping I doubt you'll need the flywheel, but like I said, I'd get it just in case... it can't be surfaced so rather have it than have them take the car apart and have to wait for it if it's needed.

rdsnk46

Established Member

You know I made a post about people here in the forum and how the mutual respect is gone. The mods deleted it....... I've been racing the GT500's for a long time and I can tell you that the forum used to be different. I'm sorry about the clutch problem I'd try to contact a Ford rep here on the site or call Fords customer service and see if that works. Forgive me if you've previously stated that you've gone this route.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread