Clutch Problem or not?

Florida_Cobra03

Established Member
After the car is warmed up and I press the clutch, I can feel a slight difference in the tension on the spring. It's almost like the braiding of the clutch cable is catching on something. It almost feels like when you press an emergency brake pedal in another car and it hits the different notches as you press it. It just started happening recently, and I can feel it when I press the clutch and when I let it out. I haven't noticed any difference in how the clutch performs. Yes, I have already adjusted the clutch. Have about 6K miles. Is this normal or an early sign of an upcoming problem? Anybody with any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

cobra101

Established Member
Hmm, can't say I have seen or had this problem. If your not modded take it to the dealer. If you are modded, maybe have a mechanic look at it. Maybe get an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster and see how that works. I hear it works well and solves some of the poor quality issues of the stock quadrant.

DimMaK

Banned
Originally posted by Florida_Cobra03
After the car is warmed up and I press the clutch, I can feel a slight difference in the tension on the spring. It's almost like the braiding of the clutch cable is catching on something. It almost feels like when you press an emergency brake pedal in another car and it hits the different notches as you press it. It just started happening recently, and I can feel it when I press the clutch and when I let it out. I haven't noticed any difference in how the clutch performs. Yes, I have already adjusted the clutch. Have about 6K miles. Is this normal or an early sign of an upcoming problem? Anybody with any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

I get the same notchy like feeling with my clutch. Today the TOB was squealing like hell. My car is going in the shop tomorrow and hopefully it can be repaired same day granted the parts are there.

Florida_Cobra03

Established Member
SVTAdvisor,
That's what it feels like, but, how does a steel cable (I would hope it's steel) get frayed after only 6K miles? The cable has to be rubbing on something to get frayed. It seems to me like those things should last at least 50K miles. I'm just hoping it's not a prelude to other problems down the road like DimMak is having. It seems like DimMak and I have the same problem with our clutch.

DimMaK

Banned
Originally posted by Florida_Cobra03
SVTAdvisor,
That's what it feels like, but, how does a steel cable (I would hope it's steel) get frayed after only 6K miles? The cable has to be rubbing on something to get frayed. It seems to me like those things should last at least 50K miles. I'm just hoping it's not a prelude to other problems down the road like DimMak is having. It seems like DimMak and I have the same problem with our clutch.

My clutch pedal is getting progressively worse too. It is terribly notchy. When I press the clutch pedal in just a bit the squealing goes away. If I am idling at a light or just stopped, the TOB squeals. Kinda of embarrassing cause everyone is looking over to see where that noise is coming from. I have had TOB problems from day one but it seems ford only likes to warranty things when they break or until they break. A week after I got the car, the TOB was acting up. Took the car in and I was told it was nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Florida_Cobra03

Established Member
I don't have the squealing, but I'm going to tell them about the clutch pedal on my next service and see what they say. I'll post if I find out anything.

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
Hey dude,, Make ford fix that TOB I am taking mine into them after the holidays for the same thing (squealing TOB) and I will be damned if they are going to tell me it is nothing to worry about, You just have to get nasty with those people sometimes:burn:

whi tri

Established Member
bybyz06 said:
I'm getting the same symptoms as the original poster, what ended up being the solution to this problem? Does anybody know?
Ok I have had this happen to me and this is what I have found. I took the trans out because when I would push it in the clutch it would be fine sometimes and then make a weird binding feel and noise then the bearing started squealling. On the way to the shop the bearing actually shit the bed about 1 mile from the shop. It looked like the clutch fork actually came off from the pivot ball. It broke the clips on the fork that holds it to the pivot ball. Just take the cover off the trans where your cable goes and take a look. JUST MAKE SURE YOU FIX IT BEFORE IT BREAKS if not you will have to buy the sleeve and from ford it is like 500.00. If it breaks then replace it with the mcleoud peice.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
whi tri said:
Ok I have had this happen to me and this is what I have found. I took the trans out because when I would push it in the clutch it would be fine sometimes and then make a weird binding feel and noise then the bearing started squealling. On the way to the shop the bearing actually shit the bed about 1 mile from the shop. It looked like the clutch fork actually came off from the pivot ball. It broke the clips on the fork that holds it to the pivot ball. Just take the cover off the trans where your cable goes and take a look. JUST MAKE SURE YOU FIX IT BEFORE IT BREAKS if not you will have to buy the sleeve and from ford it is like 500.00. If it breaks then replace it with the mcleoud peice.

so did the shifter fork need to be replaced? I'm getting a mcleod next week.

whi tri

Established Member
phillySVT said:
so did the shifter fork need to be replaced? I'm getting a mcleod next week.
I just replaced it so I wouldn't worry about it. Mine broke the prongs of the fork some how.

Users who are viewing this thread