clutch problem?...please help

89lxfoxbody

20 second club
Established Member
Well I'm going to try to make this as short as I can. Well about 3 weeks ago my factory clutch quadrant broke so I put a new one on of course with another clutch cable. Well all seemed to be well until today. My transmission started getting very hard to shift into gears but first and second seemed to be the worst. I mean literally taking quite a bit of strength to get it in gear. Well I figured the clutch cable may have stretched a bit to I tightened up the adjustment and it seemed to work fine. Well that worked for like 5 miles and it was back to being extremely stiff. Well I was headed to college and then it seemed as if the clutch wouldn't disengage at all (I could have it fully pushed in and the car would still pull.) Well at college I messed with it 2 more times. Both times it worked fine to start out with and then got very stiff again. Almost seemed like it worked well until the motor got warmed up again. Well now I pretty much have no adjustment left on the cable and it is still does not seem to be disengaging all the way. Like when trying to start it in first gear with the clutch in, the car still gets pulled and it seems to grind a bit switching gears. Someone told me they think my clutch may be bad but my clutch has never shown any signs of slipping or anything bad like that. Any opinions? All info is appreciated.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Sounds like you have a bent clutch finger in there. Pull the trannie inspection plate (the one right below the bellhousing) and see what's going on in there. While you're at it, check the clutch for wear.

:beer:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Re: Re: clutch problem?...please help

Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
Sounds like you have a bent clutch finger in there. Pull the trannie inspection plate (the one right below the bellhousing) and see what's going on in there. While you're at it, check the clutch for wear.

:beer:
sounds like your right, but there is no inspection plate, unless you mean the cover over the end of the fork

89lxfoxbody

20 second club
Established Member
The problem is now fixed. I believe I had a defective clutch cable because I put a new one on and the problem is solved. Thanks for helping though.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by 89lxfoxbody
The problem is now fixed. I believe I had a defective clutch cable because I put a new one on and the problem is solved. Thanks for helping though.

Good to hear the issue has been fixed. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread