Clutch problems, help me out, it's my birthday...

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
So I finish the clutch install last night. Fidanza 2.1 kit. Re-surfaced my old flywheel because the new one I got with the clutch kit was a 6 bolt and I didn't know it until I got it out of the box. Anyways, cleaned flywheel and pressure plate with brakeclean, aligned everything up, then torqued all bolts in star pattern. As soon as I started the car, smoke came out of the bellhousing and I hear a rub when the clutch pedal is out. The smoke went away after about ten minutes, but I have a light vibration that is consistent up through 130mph (via slow rollin 5th gear.) The rubbing sound is still there and it sounds like the new TOB is riding the pressure plate. I also installed new pivot stud and release lever.

My God this car shifts like butter. No complaints except for vibration and TOB noise. So like the title says, it's my birthday, so help a brother out. By the way, got a brand new Fidanza six bolt steel flywheel for sale. :beer:

Parts list install in last four months:

Tri-Ax short throw shifter
Clutch cable
FWA
Billet Quad
Clutch disc, pressure plate, TOB, PB
Re-surfaced flywheel
clutch release lever
Pivot stud

Last edited:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Are you sure your clutch is adjusted right? It took me forever after my clutch install to get it set correctly. Lots of trial and error for about a week.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
We had ours adjusted right but for some reason the TOB would still bounce on the PP. So we got that kit. Works really well. Now i've got the TOB adjusted really REALLY close but it dosn't touch. Pedal feel is excellent. :) I try to order from Lethal as they are a vender on here and provide good service.

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
We had ours adjusted right but for some reason the TOB would still bounce on the PP. So we got that kit. Works really well. Now i've got the TOB adjusted really REALLY close but it dosn't touch. Pedal feel is excellent. :) I try to order from Lethal as they are a vender on here and provide good service.

Just looked at Lethal's site. Trying to get something today instead of ordering on line. Thanks bro. :beer:

Are you sure your clutch is adjusted right? It took me forever after my clutch install to get it set correctly. Lots of trial and error for about a week.

The only thing I can think of is my cable is adjusted too tight. It's attached correctly on the quad, and I can just fit a dime between the cable's plastic firewall grommet and FWA adjuster ring.???

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The only thing I can think of is my cable is adjusted too tight. It's attached correctly on the quad, and I can just fit a dime between the cable's plastic firewall grommet and FWA adjuster ring.???[/QUOTE]

The only real way we've found to keep the TOB off the fingers of the plate is with the LDC freeplay mod. I tried to make my own years ago and it's just not worth the time and hassle. For $17.00 you can get one that's hassle free and fits perfect. I know you're trying to get your car done but do yourself a favor and do it the right way.

Order one up tonight. It will ship Monday. Enjoy your birthday weekend without worrying about your car as I know from personal experience it's gonna drive you nuts trying to figure it out.. LOL

Happy Birthday!

Jared

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Do the LDC mod as mentioned above.. were you WOT to 130+?

Last edited:

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
The only real way we've found to keep the TOB off the fingers of the plate is with the LDC freeplay mod. I tried to make my own years ago and it's just not worth the time and hassle. For $17.00 you can get one that's hassle free and fits perfect. I know you're trying to get your car done but do yourself a favor and do it the right way.

Order one up tonight. It will ship Monday. Enjoy your birthday weekend without worrying about your car as I know from personal experience it's gonna drive you nuts trying to figure it out.. LOL

Happy Birthday!

Jared

Thanks Jared for the B-Day prop and keeping me on the smart path to fixing the problem. :thumbsup:

Do the LDC mod as mentioned above.. were you WOT to 130+?

No, I shifted through the gears at about 3500rpm. When I got to fifth, I slow rolled up to 130mph. No WOT. I'm gonna shift my baby easy and keep her under 80mph until the clutch break in is done. I did it once to see if the vibration would get worse. It didn't.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
try reindexing the driveshaft to get rid of the vibration.

The ldc freeplay mod is a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread