Clutch question

1999 SVT Cobra

Established Member
Few quick questions regarding clutch and flywheel. Im thinking about getting a new clutch and flywheel for the 99. Was wondering what kind of differences Ill notice with a spec billet steel flywheel and the spec aluminum flywheel. Also was going to go with the spec stage 2 clutch. Also what do you guys think of the steeda clutch cable, adjuster, and quadrant kit. Heard some bad things awhile back about the cables so just wondering if that has been proven or what. Also does anyone know the ford PN for the TOB I need to get for this thing. Heard bad things also about aftermarket TOB so I want to go with what was on it stock. Thanks in advanced for any input.

Daniel

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
I have the Spec stage II and Aluminum flywheel with low pedal option. It's breaking in now and it chatters a little as the clutch is engaged. It grabs very well and I'm hoping once I get a few miles on it the chatter goes away totally, it does seem to be getting better each day. The AL flywheel is a lot lighter and I can't say I notice a big difference with it yet as I'm taking it easy on the car while breaking in the clutch. No problems tho.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
I used a Ford Motorsport Adj. cable it's a few thou larger diameter than the factory cable. I also used Maximum Motorsports quadrant and firewall adjust, it all works fine. I think ProMotion makes a great Clutch quadrant setup too. They also have a good selection of clutches to choose from.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
If you do a lot of drag racing, I would stick with the billet steel flywheel. Other than that, the aluminum is a good option.

1999 SVT Cobra

Established Member
As far as comparability is the billet steel and aluminum flywheels any better than one another. Mine is a weekend driver that sees the drag strip a few times a year. Just wondering which would be better.

mustangman36578

Established Member
go with the quadrant and firewall adjuster but use the stock cable. i have about 600 miles on my spec clutch and it is pretty much done chattering. it does it a little bit starting in first gear once in a while.

2FST4GM

Established Member
When I had my 99 Cobra, I ran a Fidanza aluminum flywheel, SPEC stage 1, Steeda clutch adjuster. I had 4.30 gears and didn't notice any delay in launching. Maybe you might if you have stock gears. However, if you are drag racing I doubt you have stock gears making it a non-issue. Get the aluminum flywheel. BTW, it took me about 1000 miles before my clutch stopped chattering, then it was smooth as could be.

Users who are viewing this thread