Clutch recomendation

snkbit99

Established Member
Hello every one. Was wondering peoples opinions on different clutches. What you have used. Which ones people like and which ones you don't like. Also any brands I should stay away from.

Thanks
Ed :)

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
I am still on the stock one but I hear alot of people using Spec stage I, II, ect...

cobraracer46

Banned
The Ford Racing 03 Cobra clutch and flywheel kit is reasonbly priced and deos not have a super agressive clamping load that will shock the drivetrain and cause breakage unlike most aftermarket clutch kits.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
The Ford Racing 03 Cobra clutch and flywheel kit is reasonbly priced and deos not have a super agressive clamping load that will shock the drivetrain and cause breakage unlike most aftermarket clutch kits.
i haven't broken any drivetrain parts in 16,000 miles.
also at over 430rwhp, id worry about how long the stocker lasts.

cobraracer46

Banned
quadcammer said:
The 03-04 Cobras have a ton of bottom end torque and the factory clutch on those cobras is more than adiquate. I like to treat the clutch as a fuse for the drive line, in other words, I would rather have the clutch go out than to have a gorilla clutch hold at the expense of a transmission or rear end. :burnout:

Tomjh99

Established Member
There was a thread a while back regarding the Spec clutches an how they are very noisy and produce a smell .

Quadcammer

Established Member
Tomjh99 said:
There was a thread a while back regarding the Spec clutches an how they are very noisy and produce a smell .
from my experience this is bs.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
quadcammer said:
from my experience this is bs.

i concur....

and as for the 03 cobra clutches being adequate.....BWHAHAHAHAA...anyway, i know a couple of LIGHTLY modded 03/04 cars that have had the clutch start going out after several thousand miels, and these are guys that know how to drive and did not contribute to the failure of the clutch...

that being said, i love my spec stage III and 03 cobra aluminum flywheel...as for noise and smell, only during break in...and if you break it in properly, it's just as streetable as any other clutch, maybe a TAD bit more touchy than a stock clutch, but not too bad nonetheless...

Last edited:

casey99COBRA

Just a rookie!
Established Member
I've got a king cobra. Seems to be just fine. It's 3 times better than the oem clutch. good for around 500hp.

Mach0ne351

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:

i second that. FRPP clutch kit (not the king cobra). it handles well above 425rwhp, no noise, easy clutch pedal.....awesome kit.

marek

Taz

Established Member
quadcammer said:

Hey, Oli!

Would it really matter what clutch you ran? Since you don't run your car at the track ever, and you don't steet race ever, how are you ever going to break anything, regardless of what it is?

T-

Quadcammer

Established Member
Taz said:
Hey, Oli!

Would it really matter what clutch you ran? Since you don't run your car at the track ever, and you don't steet race ever, how are you ever going to break anything, regardless of what it is?

T-
i still drive it hard at times. I don't launch all that hard that often, but i bang shifts pretty well. also he was just referring to the clamping loads breaking parts, not hard launches.

people can feel free to run whatever clutch they like. im sticking with spec.

Users who are viewing this thread