Clutch Reservoir and/or Line: Those who added it, opinions?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Hello all!

I've been thinking of adding a reservoir and upgrading the clutch hydraulic line. I'm interested in hearing reviews of these two items. I'm looking to improve the feel of the stock clutch.

Did you notice any changes in clutch feel? Trying to weigh if these "upgrades" actually do anything. I can't actually prove if I can tell the clutch gets spongy in the summer heat, but it sort of feels like it does.

Lastly, I'm not to fond of the rubber plug and cap, that are used to close off the clutch line port, when using the dedicated clutch reservoir. Looks like such a cheesy setup, and I would never want to drive a beast of a car whose braking system is held to together with a 10 cent rubber plug, that if it failed, I'd lose all my brake fluid. I know the plug is not under any pressure, but the whole thing smells of cheapness, and is a disaster waiting to happen. Anyone add a more permanent plug?

Thanks!

RBB

Established Member
I've upgraded to a braided line. I did it at the same time I was putting an upgraded clutch in, and to be honest the pedal feel is very similar to stock. I wouldn't know what to attribute to the line or to the new clutch. That said, it's a cheap upgrade and a better part than the stock rubber hose, so why not?

802gt500

Established Member
I did the braided line because after a few pulls I think the heat would make the pedal feel low and spongy. I did not really notice a difference. Still a little low after a pull or two.

Bad Company

Established Member
I went with the brake master cylinder for a car with an auto transmission. This is the one lexustech48 linked and it has no provision for the feed port to the clutch master cylinder. Using this eliminates the rubber cap and plug problem you're worried about.

Now for the clutch master cylinder there are a number of different parts you can purchase. Some are a lot cheaper than others. I went the more expensive route and bought the Shelby Performance Parts piece. This has a much larger reservoir, plus it has a nice powder coated mounting bracket.

I don't have the car back together to give you answer as to how it feels after driving the car and getting the brake fluid hot. My main reason for doing this was to separate the two hydraulic systems from each other. I didn't like the idea of a possible leak in the hydraulic clutch system causing a loss of brake fluid, which could cause a problem in the braking system if not noticed immediately

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I swapped the auto trans master cylinder reservoir on my car to get rid of the port. Brake fluid is nasty stuff if it leaks onto paint. The mess isn't too bad if you suck out as much brake fluid as you can. A big piece of HD aluminum foil with some Scott shop towels will absorb the overflow when you do take it apart.

I too have used both the braided line and the FRPP clutch line. The latter is a much cleaner install, at 3x the cost. Like BC, I'm using the Shelby clutch reservoir too. It's pricey too, but it's by far the cleanest install you're going to find.

I've also swapped to the bigger 13-14 clutch master cylinder, The car is not back on the road yet, but I'm thinking this last upgrade will make for better clutch feel. It requires removal of the pedal assembly to install. It's quite a project because of the contortionist positions you have to get into to remove and install. Use old blankets on the floor board to match the protruding sheet metal. Your back will thank you. I had to remove the driver's seat.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I like the tip about using HD aluminum foil. I had a feeling another reservoir would likely fit, but thanks for the part number. If I go this route, I would change reservoirs for sure. I just can't fathom the idea of a rubber plug, even though it looks like a total failure would leave you about an inch of fluid, and the warning light switch would trigger. Just rubs me the wrong way. I was considering the Shelby part, so good so see that's pretty much what others have used/recommended.

Catmonkey, make a post about the upgrade to the master cylinder, when the car is roadworthy. Seems like a cool upgrade to compliment a clutch upgrade.

Still on the fence about the line...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Do the line. If nothing else its peace of mind. A braided steel line is MUCH better than any molded plastic line, period. The McCleod line even has a bleeder valve option. It doesnt look like it will get ALL the air out as its a line valve and not on the slave cylinder itself, but should greatly speed up the process.

Users who are viewing this thread