Clutch scattered...

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Well I have not taken it apart yet as it happen this morning... But, this morning merging onto the interstate I drove normally through 1st into 2nd and layed it down when I grabbed 3rd all hell broke loose. Sounded like a 100 parts flying around. I coasted to a stop had no pedal it will go straight to the floor with no effort. I shut the car down and put it in first to see if there was anything there as the next exit was in sight. Cranked the car with it in 1st and it gave a nudge forward and sounded like the rest of the disc fell apart, then the car stopped again.

I will find out soon enough as I will be tearing into this for the next few days but im curious to know why is there no pedal? Could the disc coming apart have taken out the fingers on the pressure plate?

Guess I am going to order a spec, and a flywheel, car has the usual bolt-ons and a 100 shot, current clutch was a stock one.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Both times I have done a clutch on a Mustang, it had catastrophic failure. Unfortunately I didn't take pics, but the springs were out of their recesses, the front and back linings were broken into various pieces and completely separated from the clutch disc itself.

Even though you have 100-shot, I still think a Ford King Cobra or Super King Cobra clutch would work great - unless you are launching on nitrous, in which case maybe not on the Ford clutch.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Cobraetti-

Car has 103,000 on the odometer, but the car has been redone a while back. Engine has 50,000, clutch had around 45,000 from the paper work. Could have been a no name clutch though, the guy before me let a regular old car shop put it in and it may have been a oem replacement from a parts chain. It had horrible feel, and would get hot in daily driving and did not want to work properly. I did not really do any real power shifting either.

DuffMan- I am not spraying on my launch right now, but it will be. I am putting 4.56's gears and a progressive controller on it in the near future. A stiff clutch does not bother me, this car will just be driven randomly when I feel like it to work and on the weekends. Thankfully I have other cars.

Thanks for the input I have never had a clutch just go like that. Could it have started to break a part a while ago, then finally let go? 2 weeks ago I was horsing around with my buddy and when I grabbed 2nd on the kit I got a loud slap like a rock jumped up and hit underneath the car. In my head I knew it was the car, but we were still driving the car and it was fine and we found some debre in the road and chucked it up to that..... Ya, I know denial is the first stage lol.. :cryying:

zPipes

Established Member
The cable probably got sheared off from some of the shrapnel flying around. Thats why you would have no pedal.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Well I guess I better add a cable to my shoping list then lol

I would highly recommend using a stock replacement clutch and NOT an adjustable one. In my experience, the adjustable cables tend to stretch and bind over time and can result in much higher pedal feel, partial clutch disengagement, and eventually breaking. You can get a stock replacement one at parts stores, as well as online, and they are the same price as the adjustable ones.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
I would highly recommend using a stock replacement clutch and NOT an adjustable one. In my experience, the adjustable cables tend to stretch and bind over time and can result in much higher pedal feel, partial clutch disengagement, and eventually breaking. You can get a stock replacement one at parts stores, as well as online, and they are the same price as the adjustable ones.

Did not end up needing one, cable is in perfect condition, for the rest of the mess in there the clutch completly grenaded, so there is not much left of the clutch and pressure plate... I guess that explains the lack of pedal feel. lol

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Well as I stated in my other thread, (probably gonna delete this one so I do not have 2 rolling) it did take out the bellhousing. I was all freaked out becuase I was told my year cobra had the one piece transmission housing and thought I would have to ditch the whole thing. Comes out that I was able to purchase just a bellhousing to swap over, so my aluminum flywheel and clutch will be here friday along with hardware and bearings, and housing said latest Monday. So I can sit back and relax now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread