Clutch slipping?? No way! (vid)

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
I know this isn't necessarily the correct section for this..but i need to vent to you guys:poke:

I previously had the centerforce clutch, totally went out on me. A similar situation to this. I had gotten the Mcleod rst clutch put on about 4 months ago....and now this...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t52RdldnK8"]YouTube - VID-20110313-00002[/nomedia]

2nd gear WOT

and it does it in 3rd, 4th, etc.

I know theres little if any chance, but maybe its my belt? It started squeaking when this started happening again:shrug:

ughhhhh, what do you guys think? It just seems impossible, especially with a Mcleod clutch and how durable i hear they are...:nonono:

OneSlowCobra

JackStand Racing :(
Established Member
Fill up your brake fluid and that light wont come on when you floor it or slow down. Just an FYI

04RiceEater

Established Member
hmmm sounds like the clutch? But like you say it shouldn't be. Who installed it? Any other strange noises? Sorry about your bad luck. BTW I used the Spec 3+ on both my twin screw cobras and never had a problem. If it is the clutch maybe consider switching to a Spec.

Last edited:

OneSlowCobra

JackStand Racing :(
Established Member
But yeah it does seem like the clutch is slipping. Do you smell it? This is a bummer. I have a couple friends who have installed spec stage 2 clutches ETC and had them slip after 2000 miles.

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
But yeah it does seem like the clutch is slipping. Do you smell it? This is a bummer. I have a couple friends who have installed spec stage 2 clutches ETC and had them slip after 2000 miles.

NO, and this is the funny thing. When my centerforce was slipping i could smell it. This on the other hand, no smell.

EnvyCobra_03

Established Member
Right now i only drive a 2001 v6 5-speed but I went through the same problem. I have a stock clutch though but the same thing was happening, all i did was reset the clutch, I believe mine is a cable clutch and self rachets. Dunno if it will work for you but to reset it I just have the car off, push clutch all the way down, and let my foot just slip off and let the clutch spring back up, do it twice. Then i started the car and the issue stopped, but my clutch seemed like the "sweet spot" was a fraction smaller. very tight. it self adjusted over a few days and is fine now, havent had any issues since. Not sure if this will help, but just my .02.

Edit: i did this about a year ago, no issues since.

Last edited:

F8L BYT

Established Member
Check the belt like you said it might be that or maybe something else im not sure but if the clutch is new it should not be doing that! Did a shop do it?

:lol: Mcleod > spec

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
Check the belt like you said it might be that or maybe something else im not sure but if the clutch is new it should not be doing that! Did a shop do it?

:lol: Mcleod > spec

Yea, im def. going to check the belt today. I had my tuner do it for me. Dont really want to throw out names. But hes very reputable around the socal area.
:??:

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
how's the adjustment on the cable down on the trans? Did you check it along with the fw adjuster?

nast97

Gear Banger
Established Member
sounds like a belt to me. clutch would redline quick and smell like shit. is the car gaining speed?

VNGNCE908

VNGNCE
Established Member
looks to me like he floors it, and the RPM's climb while not picking up much speed. Seems like a clutch to me. Take it on the highway in fifth and put a little load on the engine. See if the RPM's jump while you don't gain any mph. Obviously don't go into boost in a high gear, we know how that ends up.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
This is what my tuner is telling me to check...

Ok yea because if the adjustment is off, most likely in your case it's pulling the clutch fork too far forward. Makes sense if you had the same problem with the other clutch as well.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Good old RST.... they do not hold the power like the RXT does. Here are a few vids of my RST before I switch to an RXT. Hope they help. My RST had 4000 Miles (1500 break in) in on these videos

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGQ0Vl7PeFY"]YouTube - Cobra vs evo[/nomedia]

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb180/terminatortyler04/?action=view&current=Castrolpass.mp4

Sounds like the clutch to me, just phone McLeod and get yourself a set of RXT discs and you will never have an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread