Clutch Slipping

GoonMX

Established Member
Im not sure if it is me or the clutch slipping, but my car seems to act funny sometimes. It works smooth at times, but most of the time it kinda jerks almost. 1st gear seems fine, but shifting to 2nd and also 3rd it kinda jumps like its slipping and then catching.Its not a violent jerk, but it is noticable to me. It doesnt really seem to do it in 4th and never 5th. Is my clutch going out or am i just retarded? I dont abuse this car and it is my first manual, but i have driven a manual before and feel i got am not so bad to say i destroyed the clutch.Im gonna try adjusting it again tommorow to see if that helps:shrug:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
since this is your first manual, it seems probable that maybe your not matching the rpms right when shifting. if you're shifting too slow then the rpms will be way low by the time you let out on the clutch. or, if letting out to fast, then they'll be too high. to see if your clutch is slipping, get up to speed and be in 5th gear. give it a lot of gas(to where it sorta makes it boggy). watch your rpms. if they go up in a normal manner you're good. if they seem to jump at first on the inital punch, or just go up really fast compared to your speed, then it's time for a new clutch.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
'Clutch test how to'

Start out normally in first gear... get up to about 20-30 mph, short shift into 4th gear and floor it. If the rpms spike up quickly and the car goes nowhere, its upgrade time. If the rpms bog and slowly rise and the car also slowly accelerates then the clutch is fine.

I had what I think is the same problem that you describe. The fix I installed a faster clutch foot on the nut behind the wheel.
aka
I let out the clutch faster when shifting gears. I now shift smoothly between gears when before I would always have jerky shifts.

GoonMX

Established Member
alright i tried what i guess i used to do again and it seems to help. i think what may be bothering me is where it engages? what im doing now is i push it all the way to shift, but began letting out and have it about halfway out as i go to the next gear. this makes it smooth, but is it right? funny thing is i can drive this car fast better than i can slow:kaboom:

st4ng07

Established Member
well, might be your adjuster. My clutch would only slip while shifting any other time it would be fine. The stock adjusters are total crap. Just buy an aftermarket one.

Users who are viewing this thread