Clutch Squeak between gears?

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
Clutch Squeak, have any of you experienced this with aftermarket clutches? Since the day my Mantic clutch/flywheel/slave/pilot was installed I get an audible squeak under heavy load between gears. Its right when i grab another gear. I hooked up the gopro so I could catch the noise. Around the 6 second mark. I have about 2000 miles on it now, 1/2 dozen 1/4 mile passes and it grabs great with no other issues.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Could it be belt squeak? Are you still on the stock s/c tensioner and belt?

It could be the pilot bearing. I know its new, but id think the throwout bearing would make noise anytime you had pressure applied on the clutch. During a shift the speed difference of the input shaft and the crankshaft would work the pilot bearing.

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member

It could be the pilot bearing. I know its new, but id think the throwout bearing would make noise anytime you had pressure applied on the clutch. During a shift the speed difference of the input shaft and the crankshaft would work the pilot bearing.

Don't think it's belt squeal. I have a new heavy duty gates green that I got from Van with my 10%od. Checked for dust and nothing. As soon as I changed the clutch it started. I made this post in my shelby FB group and a few guys said the same.
f775b855e0032d26ac60d6cc7da45754.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

It's possible it's belt related. I have noticed since i removed my clutch assist spring I haven't heard it in awhile. I heard it when I had my spec clutch in my 2013 also.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't see a throw out bearing squeak under heavy load, and not squeak under lower loads. Do you hear any squeak with the clutch depressed, the cars is in gear and you rev the engine?

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
It's possible it's belt related. I have noticed since i removed my clutch assist spring I haven't heard it in awhile. I heard it when I had my spec clutch in my 2013 also.

Ya it's kind of a mystery at this point. Lol

I can't see a throw out bearing squeak under heavy load, and not squeak under lower loads. Do you hear any squeak with the clutch depressed, the cars is in gear and you rev the engine?

Nope the only time is between gears under heavy load, as soon as I let the clutch out after grabbing another gear. Will see what it sounds like when I get my wotbox in and use the no lift shift.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hmmm... i have to say im fortunate that my RXT has been silent. I replaced my throwout/slave and pilot bearing last saturday. OE slave and i upgraded to the heavy duty pilot bearing. Still no abnormal noises.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Nope the only time is between gears under heavy load, as soon as I let the clutch out after grabbing another gear.
High load or high rpm? If you wind it up under mild acceleration at higher rpm and shift, will it squeal?

Gruca

Established Member
My stock clutch squeaks a lot now (19,000 miles on the clock, 2014 GT). Whenever I press the clutch pedal, there is a squeak. Also when driving and changing gears, I can here it then too. I know it's something in the trans because whenever I push in the clutch and let go, while in gear, I can hear a squeaking noise. Very annoying. Hopefully it goes away when I change out the clutch, flywheel, PP, and TO bearing...

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
My Mcleod RXT squeeks ...actually sounds like a chirp when I lift off it suddenly..in a spirited way....usually at 3500-4000rpm ..when my foot is not sliding off but letting the clutch just grab. The RXT was installed with new pilot/slave & new ALFW.
I noticed it most when I'd practice faster 1-2 or 2-3 shifts at mid-range rpm. At first I thought it was tire chirp but my wife said it's not coming from the rear. And I noticed the MT's were grabbing and she'd certainly move back :)->). Now I can make it happen at will. I can't hear it when I'm on the car because there's way more going on.
I called and McLeod told me it's the clutch grabbing....when it bites & holds sometimes there's a chirp sound . That made perfect sense.

Last edited:

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
My Mcleod RXT squeeks ...actually sounds like a chirp when I lift off it suddenly..in a spirited way....usually at 3500-4000rpm ..when my foot is not sliding off but letting the clutch just grab. The RXT was installed with new pilot/slave & new ALFW.
I noticed it most when I'd practice faster 1-2 or 2-3 shifts at mid-range rpm. At first I thought it was tire chirp but my wife said it's not coming from the rear. And I noticed the MT's were grabbing and she'd certainly move back :)->). Now I can make it happen at will. I can't hear it when I'm on the car because there's way more going on.
I called and McLeod told me it's the clutch grabbing....when it bites & holds sometimes there's a chirp sound . That made perfect sense.

Really huh? Well that sounds identical to my issue. I wonder why with the same cars, clutches, mods etc not all of them do it?

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I have had belt squeak at heavy load shifts, even with new belts, and that's what mine sounded like

kwarnerjr

Established Member
I had a little "squeak" or "chirp" with my stock clutch and now with my Spec ST trim....

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a little "squeak" or "chirp" with my stock clutch and now with my Spec ST trim....

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Never had it with my stocker but I heard it the first few drives with the Spec but now it's gone.
Did you see your Spec? Did it have puck style discs or full face friction material on the discs?
-J

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Never had it with my stocker but I heard it the first few drives with the Spec but now it's gone.
Did you see your Spec? Did it have puck style discs or full face friction material on the discs?
-J

I didn't get to see the inside, this is the only picture I have of the clutch.

8ca573128e824b27951291017fb49b17.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread