clutch squeal

sapper

Established Member
There is a little bit of a squeal when the clutch pedal is depressed just a inch or so. It does not matter if the car is in first gear or
neutral. Has the same sort of sound you get from a belt slipping. Its sound
is also not consistent. Some times it squeals sometimes it doesn't. I doubt
its related to my drive shaft vibration problem. Any ideas what may be causing it?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Mine had the exact same sound as you describe, to a "T."

It went away after 5 passes down the dragstrip (and 15-17 practice launches). It is just your cars way of saying "get me into the 12-second club or I'm gonna whine"

really..............

Silver 03 Cobra

There are several reported in this forum including me. Mine stated sqealing the second week. I took it to the dealer to get it reported but haven't had a chance to get it to the dealer to fix.

Matt03

Established Member
I have the same problem but I'm just going to wait to have it fixed until I have my new clutch, that has a performance throwout bearing, put in.

sapper

Established Member
Has anyone had this problem and gotten it fixed?

Mine started this noise at about 500-600 miles.

I have driven a lot of standards in my life, never had one make a noise like this one.

i8u

Established Member
If you suspect throwout bearing noise... It will squeal when the clutch is engaged (pedal not depressed). Dissengage the clutch ( by depressing the pedal) and the sound sould go away.
Hope this helps.:beer:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by sapper
Has anyone had this problem and gotten it fixed?

Mine started this noise at about 500-600 miles.

I have driven a lot of standards in my life, never had one make a noise like this one.

I had this exact problem and they fixed it in a day. It was the throw out bearing. Here is my original post...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17960

After they replaced the throw out bearing it fixed the problem and after driving it another 600 miles I havn't heard the squeel again.

Iasked them if there was anything I couldv'e done to have prevented this and they said it was just a faulty part.

I rewcomend that you take it in and then you won't have to worry about it anymore. It doesn't take more than a day (or two if they are really busy) to fix it.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by Matt03
I have the same problem but I'm just going to wait to have it fixed until I have my new clutch, that has a performance throwout bearing, put in.

speaking from my past trials... I put a centerforce dual friction clutch and new throw out bearing in my 98 vert. After a few hundred miles a squeal became evident. Ordered another throwout bearing....dropped the tranny again (which was a pain w longtubes) Put a new throwout in. If fixed the squeal untill after another hundred or so miles and it came back. I then put a vortec s-trim on which covered up the squeal.HeHeHe. No problems ever w/ the bearing. The clutch was awsome. I just dealt with it. The factory throwout bearing should not squeal though. After 1k miles or so my squeal was gone.:beer:

ssssnake

Established Member
Got the same problem. It's not real consistent, though. It was squealing real bad but then stopped. It does it from time to time now. When we take it in for warranty work, we'll get them to check it.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by ygohome

After they replaced the throw out bearing it fixed the problem and after driving it another 600 miles I havn't heard the squeel again.

uh oh... it's back! I forgot to knock on wood.

Just washed the car and heard the squeel again as the clutch was engaging (lifting off the pedal from a dead stop).

I'm going on a 2000 mile road trip the 1st week of October. I'm hoping it will just go away. If not then I'll probably try investing in a new aftermarket clutch and throwout bearing. But that probably won't be cheap (guessing $1000 to purchase the parts and get it all installed???). but if I don't have the funds than I guess I'll just take it back to the dealer to let them "fix" it again.

sapper

Established Member
Update on the clutch squeal.

It went away after having to put up with it for about week and 100 or so miles. Don't now what to say about it. I can only guess that maybe the grease packing just needed some time to work itself in.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Mine is still happening. Next week I begin my trip from Phoenix to Dallas and then back again. When I return I'm going to take it in for the oil change and have them fix this. It happens when I press in on the clutch peddal. It happens when the peddel is all the way to the floor and also about at the halfway mark.

It is occurs after I come to a stop and then push in on the pedel. Usually after heavy accelerating when after I just performed a series of downshifts and then come to a complete stop.

Does this sound like slipping clutch to you guys? They already changed out the throwout bearing the last time I was there so I don't think that is the problem (unless they installed it incorrectly).

BTW... I also get a brake pad squeel that is really loud. Is this a simple matter of changing out the pads for new ones?

Thanks

sapper

Established Member
Another update, the squeal is back. It had stopped for a number of days, I thought I was done with it. I took it in and the tech could hear it as we drove around. He is going to replace the throwout bearing. He also noted the vibration at high speeds and will also be doing the steps required by SVT to isolate and fix it.

Yougohome,
You and I have the exact same thing happing. The clutch is not slipping, you would feel that during acceleration. Would be feel like your power was evaporating while your rpms went to red line.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
I just spoke with self proclaimed SVT expert from a different FORD dealer near me about this. I told him how a different dealership service dept replaced the throwout bearing already. So this guy is wondering if it could be the "pilot bearing".

sapper,
I agree, I think you and I have very similar problems (if not the exact same problem). I'm not feeling any power loss but this thing is so much faster than what I drove before that I probably wouldn't notice a powerloss even if it were.

Unfortunatly I won't be able to take mine in for service for a couple of weeks. If you get your's worked on first, let me know how it works out for you.

Talk to you later

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Sign me up- i have the EXACT same problem. I have 6300 miles and it's been lightly squeeking from about 400 miles. Just recently got worse (sounds like a drill press boring into hard steel) after a 1300 mile (two 7 hour drives, plus 2 weeks normal driving) vacation. Comes and goes. It mostly appears after the car is driven hard and with the clutch peddle depressed. Goes away if you re-engage the clutch. I don't exactly want to tell the service guy it only appears if you get on it ("yeah, go abuse my car, have fun!"). I had the TO bearing go out in my 99 Cobra; that's exactly what it sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread