Clutch Troubleshooting

Drew Hall

So i just bought a 1999 mustang GT that has a cobra motor put in it. I was driving it the other day and as i went to stop, i pushed the clutch in and upon doing that a popping noise came from the pedal and the clutch pedal went straight down to the floor. However the clutch pedal still had some resistance. I am not sure what is broken, i went and took the cable out and observed it and found that it was not broken. The car i can put in first and start it and drive it while rev matching to shift (how i got the car home). Im not sure what the issue is and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Help much appreciated.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The first thing I would check is the quadrant under the dash. Does it have the stocker or an aftermarket set up? If those are ok and the cable is ok then it's time to move under the car and start looking at the clutch fork and clutch.

jeason15

Established Member
Slo is right, quadrant first, then check the fork (I have seen them come partially off the ball stud), and then give the fingers on the pressure plate an inspection. There aren't that many things that will make a "pop" and cause your issues.

Users who are viewing this thread