Clutch upgrade advice please

5150Mustang

302 Fanatic
Established Member
I have a 2011 Mustang GT 401A 6spd 30,107 Miles ( I know thats alot it pains me I have had it since the late summer of 2010 )
Mods:
-SCT Tuner ( currently sporting BBR tunes )
-Boss 302 Intake
-Airraid Intake
-NX Plate Kit 150hp Shot
-3:31 Gears ( prolly should get 3.73 )
-JLt oil Sep
-BBR o /xpipe
-Flowmaster American Thunders axle back ( I am gonna get rid of them for the Borla cat back after the rest of the car is done TRUST ME )
-BBR LCA relocation brakets
-BBR LCA,s
-JPC Sway bar Recolation kit

-On the way is race star wheels front runners and 15x 10's with MT E/T Street 275-50 15s and BBR pan hard bar and double adj UCA and BBR subframes.
As far as dialing the car to perfection I am not going to be able to drive from Kentucky to Boca Raton so I will have the Nitrous and fuel Dyno tuned in at Dynospeed in Memphis on March 5th 2012
( Chris Jones does to an amazing tuning job my car has been modded since the first day I got it and its been BBR all the way I highly recommend them its just that I am super picky about my nitrous and timing and AF I am bulding this car on a low buget and cant afford a mishap in the engine.)

I am going to need a clutch I already know that, the stock one is fine now but not after the first time i dump that bastard on radials. I just cant get over the fact that I think I might be getting shoved around by different vendors, everyone I call only recommeds their brand ( OBVIOUSLY ) I just want the best one for my money to be honest so I have narrowed it down

Spec Stage 3+:rockon: (or) McLeod RST Twin Disc:pepper:

There is a serious price difference as you know and I really just wanna get the Spec but if its gonna be shit i need to know. . .I just hate to spend that much especially since I am going to need a stupid expensive driveshaft that wont come flying through my car.

The basic concept is I am looking to hit a 10.99 or better in the 1/4m and thats it and I think I am on the way just dont know what to do about this damned clutch.

alex12gt

Established Member
have heard good things about the mcleod and john from bbr suggested the exedy, i guess thats what they run on the 900+hp and havnt had any issue and its cheaper then the mcleod.....i know alot of people like spec but im not really a fan ive had friends with several that were junk

5150Mustang

302 Fanatic
Established Member
I guess my clutch questions are really all relative. . .i mean my main concern is right now is my clutch gonna slip or fry on a dyno on a 150 shot?

I don't even have an idea as to what kind of ball park numbers to expect from my engine mods and nitrous, I am worried bout wasting time and alot money

deepsouthtech

Established Member
My personal experience with SPEC hasn't been good and has just left a bad taste in my mouth. Had a stage 2 on a 96 cobra with a new flywheel that chattered beyond belief.

I will say that spec replaced it twice and I even sent the flywheel/clutch combo to them once, but after pulling a t46 that many times from a car with longtubes I went with something else and had no issues after the fact.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Thanks chuck. That's great to know. Boss clutch direct bolt in. Oem quality.

Last edited:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Exedy Mach 600 or 700. It's only a single disc but I promise you will see nothing but great results. Each one is rated by trq. Example: Mach 600= (handle up to 650 trq) It has a little more then stock feel but grabs when you need it too. All Exedy's come with a new slave as well (extra if orig is ok) Your spending half the cost as others. They also will bolt up to your stock flywheel (long as its ok)

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
You could always go with the stock Boss clutch. Have made over 1k on it

is the boss clutch a direct swap for our motors?

and if so where can i buy one at? I'd do this over any after market clutch. I hated breaking in clutches on my 04 mustang.

Last edited:

5150Mustang

302 Fanatic
Established Member
is the boss clutch a direct swap for our motors?

and if so where can i buy one at? I'd do this over any after market clutch. I hated breaking in clutches on my 04 mustang.

Buhahahaha you are at least more then half way retarded. . . So u think there is a difference between breaking in the Boss Clutch versus an aftermarket? OH I GET IT boss clutches must be made of unicorn blood infused with a platinum kevlar mix and won't glaze like any other clutch in creation. . .YAAAAAY IM GONNA BUY A BOSS CLUTCH AND IMMEDIATELY PERFORM 10k rpm CLUTCH DUMPS.

Please keep stupid shit on the allfordmustangs forum lol

five0three

big deal
Established Member
Buhahahaha you are at least more then half way retarded. . . So u think there is a difference between breaking in the Boss Clutch versus an aftermarket? OH I GET IT boss clutches must be made of unicorn blood infused with a platinum kevlar mix and won't glaze like any other clutch in creation. . .YAAAAAY IM GONNA BUY A BOSS CLUTCH AND IMMEDIATELY PERFORM 10k rpm CLUTCH DUMPS.

nice post bro! you really made him look like a jerk! :beer:

:nonono:

you want to be a trolling ****** go hang out in SD.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
nice post bro! you really made him look like a jerk! :beer:

:nonono:

you want to be a trolling ****** go hang out in SD.

0.00 per day
Trader Rating: (0)

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member

where did i say i was going to do 10k rpm clutch drops and or beat the shit on my car? usually production car clutches dont need to be broken in.

you sir are awesome and you're going to go really far in life! :bowdown:

twistedneck

Established Member
I looked this up a few months back and need to support a lot of future HP like you.

it came down to two - the exedy dual disc new in 2011 and the RST/RXT. you can use an aluminum flywheel on the RST/RXT, exedy makes you use their billet flywheel. exedy has a forged aluminum clutch cover.. maybe that makes up for the steel flywheel..

EXEDY Globalparts Corporation | High Performance and OEM Clutches and Flywheels

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I looked this up a few months back and need to support a lot of future HP like you.

it came down to two - the exedy dual disc new in 2011 and the RST/RXT. you can use an aluminum flywheel on the RST/RXT, exedy makes you use their billet flywheel. exedy has a forged aluminum clutch cover.. maybe that makes up for the steel flywheel..

EXEDY Globalparts Corporation | High Performance and OEM Clutches and Flywheels

Exedy is a single disc. not a dual (will be coming out soon though) You can also use it with your stock flywheel. Does not require a billet. They also only make a lightweight steel flywheel too which will work on McLeod and Exedy products.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread