Clutch Upgrade ??

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Who can tell me what the specs are with the stock clutch and pressure plate on our 03's?

I am thinking of going with a Spec clutch. The reason I ask is with 390 HP out of the box did not Ford put a decent setup already??

And if the setup we are currently running really is trash then what level of Spec clutch would you recomend I get. I was thinking the Spec 2 series.

Input is welcome.

IXSLR8

Established Member
i used a spec stage III

I had a 99 ss camaro with stroker kit, heads, cam, and full exhaust all in all i think i was somewhere around 450 rwhp and i had a stage III spec kevlar clutch with billet steel flywheel. This was a great all around clutch for anything with a lot of power. There really was no feathering it though. It was either engaged or not. Don't get me wrong it wasn't really a harsh engage but enough to hold all the power i had. If i remember correctly it was rated up to like 650 rwhp??

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Im thinkin the stock clutch is pretty strong. Mine has taken everything I have thrown at it for 6200 miles, and then some.

When the time comes..I will probably go with a SPEC, seems to be the popular choice.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by broke7
Im thinkin the stock clutch is pretty strong. Mine has taken everything I have thrown at it for 6200 miles, and then some.

When the time comes..I will probably go with a SPEC, seems to be the popular choice.

I guess it depends on the car. My first TOB went out at 10K and was replaced at 12K. By then, the clutch was shot, and was replaced as well. Second TOB went bad at ~14K. I go in today to get it replaced, and see if the clutch gets replaced too. Have 17K now. If it happens again, hardened TOB and Spec clutch are going in, it's just too much of a pain to keep taking it in for warranty.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
What type of symptoms or what does it do when your TOB starts getting wierd on ya?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by broke7
What type of symptoms or what does it do when your TOB starts getting wierd on ya?

A sickening rattle that sounds like a dull hacksaw being dragged over a copper pipe.
Then there is the squeal when engaging in low gears.

Trying to pull up on the clutch pedal will delay needing replacemen for a thousand miles or so. But then it is time to upgrade.

Shifting becomes a 2-handed operation whn the car is warm. Reverse disappears.

Mine is going in Friday for upgrade with all spec stuff. MM IRS Bushings too.

stang99

Which spec clutch pkg are you using. Are you going to use another stock Ford TOB?

Originally posted by postban
A sickening rattle that sounds like a dull hacksaw being dragged over a copper pipe.
Then there is the squeal when engaging in low gears.

Trying to pull up on the clutch pedal will delay needing replacemen for a thousand miles or so. But then it is time to upgrade.

Shifting becomes a 2-handed operation whn the car is warm. Reverse disappears.

Mine is going in Friday for upgrade with all spec stuff. MM IRS Bushings too.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I just bought the stage 2 kit. It goes in Thursday. Long story short, Ford's warranty nazis finally decided to check out my car. I dodged the bullet this time (again), but no more Ford clutches.

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
yea, if your running some mods, plan on frying your stock clutch. I was running a track event at Texas Motor Speedway and my clutch was fryed big time. Installing the Spec Stage III clutch assy to not be bothered with the clutch frying again.

jtfx6552

Established Member
olchakla,

Looks nice! Wow, I didn't know OT'ing was that hard on the clutch! What are you, or what did you, replace it with.

JT

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by n2fords2003
Where are ya'll getting your spec clutches and how much?

call Amazon Racing, they're SPEC distributors and they'll quote you a good price :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread