Clutch will not fully disengage

parabs

Established Member
the car is a 97 cobra with a mcleod clutch. there has always been a lot of "feedback, pulsing, vibration" in the pedal when it is engaged and the car shifted okay.

occasionally, if I did not hold the shifter in 4th gear on decel it would not hold itself in gear.

yesterday, I started the car without issues, drove to grab a drive through starbucks, and drove home.

On the way home I noticed the car seemed to be more likely to grind gears. When I arrived home I depressed the clutch and rolled to a stop only to have the car die. I started the car and the car began to move forward slowly as it was turning over. The clutch mostly, but not completely disengaged. It was next to impossible to shift gear so I pulled it around and back into the driveway.

The round trip was a maximum of 2 miles. I didnt hammer on the car as it wasnt up to full operating temps.

The car has a stock cable/quadrant.

I read the link below but I am not sure if this applies to me or not yet..

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/389553-how-adjust-clutch-cable.html

looking for some experience/insight from someone! thanks!:beer:

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Sounds like your cable has probably stretched beyond what the stock quadrant can compensate for. Recently replaced the stock, 70k mile cable in mine and the replacement was an inch shorter, if that tells you anything.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I check the cable first.. You can put the car on stands and have someone under it to make sure the clutch fork is moving properly while you press and release the clutch..

2k3Mach

Established Member
Any grinding/noise when in gear and clutch depressed while you rev it up? (Kinda like revving in neutral)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
Has it started out of nowhere or a progressive thing? Could be that you stretched the cable that would not allow for full dis or engagement of the clutch. I would check the cable first.... Or the throw out barring could be going bad which would cause the same problem. I'm on my third cable, I have the same problem in second before the cable stretches or breaks.... I just orderd a steeda cable see how that one holds up and I'm just running a king cobra clutch... Right should tighten the cable left should loosen it. Mine seems to be backwards right loosens it and left tightens it...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread