Cmylxgo

cmylxgo

Established Member
Converter went in...and smoked after 40 miles. Trans is done too. Waiting on new parts from Lentech to turn it into a strip terminator...1000hp capable.

Long story short....DO NOT USE A LOCKUP CONVERTER in a high HP application.

I burned up the lockup clutch in the converter which polluted the trans, which caused the screen to get clogged, which cause the pump to starve, which caused the trans to slip, which caused the forward band to die.

I will be switching to a Non-Lockup style convter on the rebuild. Car will be down for about 2 weeks while I wait for the parts and rebuild.

-Corey

Captain Hook

Established Member
Originally posted by cmylxgo
Converter went in...and smoked after 40 miles. Trans is done too. Waiting on new parts from Lentech to turn it into a strip terminator...1000hp capable.

Long story short....DO NOT USE A LOCKUP CONVERTER in a high HP application.

I burned up the lockup clutch in the converter which polluted the trans, which caused the screen to get clogged, which cause the pump to starve, which caused the trans to slip, which caused the forward band to die.

I will be switching to a Non-Lockup style convter on the rebuild. Car will be down for about 2 weeks while I wait for the parts and rebuild.

-Corey

oh my! sorry to hear. That was definatly not what I figured I would hear. what kind of convertor was it? I ran an AOD built by MV performance out of Georgia had the Baumannator controler. It was still using the lock up convertor. It was Precision convertor. I didnt run into much problem. I guess the next one I go with I will steer clear of the lock-up.
Once again I am sorry to hear,
Jim

cmylxgo

Established Member
It was a Lentech 9.5" Lockup Converter. Lentech said that I should of had it never go into lockup at more than 20% throttle position.

-Corey

cmylxgo

Established Member
I just recieved a box load of tranny parts from Lentech. With these new upgraded parts I am told the trans will hold 1000hp and 800 ft/lbs of tq. I will try and break it next summer :)

I should have the trans back together over the weekend and back in the car first part of next week. After a few break-in miles I will be going to the track to beat up on the 11s et wall.

-Corey

Captain Hook

Established Member
Originally posted by cmylxgo
I just recieved a box load of tranny parts from Lentech. With these new upgraded parts I am told the trans will hold 1000hp and 800 ft/lbs of tq. I will try and break it next summer :)

I should have the trans back together over the weekend and back in the car first part of next week. After a few break-in miles I will be going to the track to beat up on the 11s et wall.

-Corey
cant wait. What convertor did you go with this time? I wouldnt be surprised to see a half a second atleast shaved off your time if it sticks. Good luck and keep us informed.:thumbsup:
Jim

cmylxgo

Established Member
Same size. 9.5"...but went Non-Lockup instead of lockup. The Lockup converter stalled at 3400rpm on the transbrake. This one should stall the same.

-Corey

Users who are viewing this thread