Cobra 5&6 gear change

f2fast4u

Established Member
Just curious, but I ordered a new 5th & 6th today from D&D Performance for the Cobra. They are .74 and .50, as I grew tired quickly of the .62 6th gear in the Cobra. Anyone else done this upgrade?

Fred

PhillyCobra

Established Member
What's wrong with the .62 sixth gear? I have a C4 Vette with the .50 sixth gear and similar rear end ratio, and sixth gear is pretty useless. Also puts more stress on engine. Sixth gear on my stock Cobra seems plenty high to me.

f2fast4u

Established Member
Personal opinion, but I have too much hp for that .62 sixth gear. The KB makes tons more power than the Eaton. Basically 5th gear is useless right now - I just go from 4th to 6th.

jlsnsw

Hello San Diego!!!
Established Member
I was just thinking about having my 5th and 6th gears updated to the same ratios you listed and would like to see if anyone has had this done. For me it would be a gas mileage issue, I wish it was due to too much horsepower.

jlsnsw

Hello San Diego!!!
Established Member
from memory in my T/A i tached about 1650-1700 rpms @ 80 mph, so that is about a 500 rpm drop from the 2250 I tach in my Cobra.

2JZFAN

Established Member
I am looking to add a Viper T-56 to my car. A buddy of mine said to get the viper 1-4, 03 5th, and keep the viper 6th.. Any ideas?

I can't seem to find the right ratios for the Viper Transmission, anyone know where I can compare both? Thanks

Oh and I'm adding a Novi 2000, forged bottom, and was thinking about 4.10 gears.. I did my math and it didn't seem to be to bad of an increase with the Viper transmission and a Paxton.. Any input? Thanks.

f2fast4u

Established Member
Black306 - I agree on the first gear. But, to change that also it was then in the neighborhood of just going with the Viper spec trans because we were around the same money then. If all goes right, using the new 5th and 6th gears, I should be able to setup to 3.73's in the rear end thus making first gear tolerable and having a better highway 6th gear to boot. Anyway, that' my plan. Should get it all installed along with the Steeda TriAx next week.

Fred

2JZFAN

Established Member
Does anyone have any connections with any at Dodge? I'd like to get a TUET1806 from the new Viper.. it's rated at 550tq.. just I heard it's hard to locate. I'm going to do some homework. Thanks.

predator

Established Member
FYI....check out G-Force transmissions. 03 Cobra version T-56 due out in 3/2004... 900hp rated. Offered in different gear ratios 'cause of the Viper, Camaro, Firebird applications. You can parts/pieces or the whole tranny. Pricey, but top notch stuff. I have been keeping in touch with them.....great bunch of guys who will give you the time of day on the phone. Nice thing about the Cobra version is that you don't have to modify anything.....bolt in!

f2fast4u

Established Member
FYI, if my math is correct by changing to the Viper 6th gear then Interstate driving at 78mph rpms would drop from the current 2,200 rpm down to 1,775 rpm. That equals a 19% improvement. Plus, 90% of my miles are highway miles.

IF I also changed to 3.73 rear gears coupled with the Viper 6th gear, the rpms would be 1,864 rpm for 78mph... still a 15% improvement over today. PLUS, this would aid the 1st gear situation also. Tempting...

Fred

PhillyCobra

Established Member
You guys who want a lower 1st gear, how do you make use of it? I have trouble hooking up and getting traction in 1st with just my mild mods. How can you make use of a lower 1st on a 600HP KB car???

Users who are viewing this thread