Cobra advice

jgheels2003

Established Member
New poster here. I was wondering if you all could give me some gnereal feedback on the reliability of the s/c Cobras. Im looking to get one not too far down the road. I've always had a Japanese car as a daily driver for no other reason than quality and reliability. I know everyone hears it day in day out about American cars vs. Japanese cars, but I really don't care about that too much anymore since I'll own multiple cars. But, I am curious if Ford's reliability in general is better than the Chevy/Dodge's etc etc. I realize that with modding and such you will put your car more at risk, but I've done that already with my STi and have had no problems. I'd love some feedback from you guys. Simply put, I love what the pulley swap, exhaust, and a chip will do...its filthy. I love torque and that straight line power. Anyways, I like reading this board a lot, and look forward to your responses. Thanks in advance!

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
Drive one.

That's all it took for me to decide. I had a 2002 Gt Vert that I thought was pretty badass til I drove my buddy's Cobra. The Gt was gone very soon there after

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Sorry for the vague first response, the supercharged Cobra is really different from any other car you've driven in the past; drive one.

To your point, I've had a few issues with my car that had me back to the dealer, but those have been minor; 452 RWHP and a window motor gave out.

I've been trying to break my half shafts and transmission, but have yet to do so. I road race this beast whenever I've got the opportunity, so don't think in straight lines.

As a primary driver, I'd look elsewhere, but as a road racing car, I'd look here.

cornholio

Established Member
Reliablily is question that applies to every car. All cars, if researched, will reveal sources that support the good, and those that support the bad. I cannot think of a performace or collectible car that doesn't have some sort of club or internet forum that just about anyone can access.
Research has never been easier. If you have paid attention to this forum, and other mustang/ford based, you most likely already have an opinion. The good and the bad have already been revealed here.

The Cobra has never been better. The motor has never been more researched and built for the aftermarket. Just dyno'd mine yesterday and got 465 HP and 490 Lb/ft to the wheels on a rainy humid day in South Florida.

When or where else could/can you get that kind of power with all the comforts (leather,AC,Power everything,CD,Etc) for around $30,000. You are obviously looking to by used, so your price is even lower than that.

I really don't have any complaints or warnings to you about the car. The only compromise is that you are buying a 4 seater that only seats 2. The back seat is useless when it comes to adults.

Some complain about the fit and finish, or the paint. The paint is fine on mine, the fit/finish and aminities are just fine and expected for the price.

Good Luck.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
jgheels2003 said:
...snip... I love torque and that straight line power. ...snip...QUOTE]

Blah torque,
phooey straight line power!

I love TURBO SPOOL and AWD GRIP. I can say with extreme certainty that if I had a Stage 2 STI I would not get an 03 Cobra (unless I wanted one). But you do live in NC where I can imagine it snows far less than here in the Detroit area.

STI > Cobra in all but perfect dry weather.

I am on my second one too. I have been through soooooooo many things with my Cobras many good, some bad. First one was a vert, did the whole chip/pulley/intake exhaust (CPIE in SVTP lingo), wheel hop was bad so i put in a live axle. Decided I wanted a coupe, sold the vert to a friend. Coupe is being heavily modded, equivalent to um Stage 4+++. Not regretting it just kinda second guessing a little bit.

All that while you got a mid/low 12sec, 6spd, 300 whp (better be, you said stg2), 4 passenger comfort, goes in all weather STI.

Of course all my Subaru lust comes from my own Stage2 +uppipe WRX Wagon.
I already know about cobras, tell me about your STI

jgheels2003

Established Member
postban said:
jgheels2003 said:
...snip... I love torque and that straight line power. ...snip...QUOTE]

Blah torque,
phooey straight line power!

I love TURBO SPOOL and AWD GRIP. I can say with extreme certainty that if I had a Stage 2 STI I would not get an 03 Cobra (unless I wanted one). But you do live in NC where I can imagine it snows far less than here in the Detroit area.

STI > Cobra in all but perfect dry weather.

I am on my second one too. I have been through soooooooo many things with my Cobras many good, some bad. First one was a vert, did the whole chip/pulley/intake exhaust (CPIE in SVTP lingo), wheel hop was bad so i put in a live axle. Decided I wanted a coupe, sold the vert to a friend. Coupe is being heavily modded, equivalent to um Stage 4+++. Not regretting it just kinda second guessing a little bit.

All that while you got a mid/low 12sec, 6spd, 300 whp (better be, you said stg2), 4 passenger comfort, goes in all weather STI.

Of course all my Subaru lust comes from my own Stage2 +uppipe WRX Wagon.
I already know about cobras, tell me about your STI

Mine has between 300 to 310 whp right now. It has full exhaust, K & N typhoon, pink springs/hard tops, and other little stuff. It's a Cobb stage 2, and I love it. As you know, the exhaust note is unreal when opened up, deceiving for a four banger. The stock VF 39 is a smaller turbo, but it hits like a truck and really fast around town when you want it (about 390 ft lbs of torque at the crank with the increased boost). Handles realy well. I'll always own one of these cars, because you do get a ton for what you pay for all year round, its very unique. Its good for mid twelves right now at 108-109 at its best. I've wrestled with going to a bigger turbo, but it would require tons of additional mods (fuel pump, rails, injectors, FMIC, headers )and a upgraded tuning software to do it right. So, I'll have that on hold until I own a daily driver. You can get the big Garret turbo kits good for 500+ whp but I'd be turning it into something its not at that point, so the jury is still out if I'll do anything drastic. Long story short, I love the car.

Im biased towards turbos, but Im intruiged by the Cobra because of the simplicity of what you can do for big power. Its immediate power, and I want an American V8 in the garage sometime along with the STi. Ive driven Camaros and older Mustangs before on occasion. They handle like cement trucks, but thats b/c I compare it to what I drive everyday. I test drove a supercharged Cobra, and its everything people on this board say it is. Its badass, and handles better than most give it credit for, meaning the cornering is normal and does nothing to handicap my view of the car as a whole. I kind of wanted to get a sense of what to expect from people to own them as far as reliability goes, so I appreciate all the responses!

Users who are viewing this thread