Cobra Caged Lower Pulley Hub Locks For Sale

67351stang

Established Member
My caged lower bushings were worn out, so I replaced them and built some hub locks while I was at it. I had 6 plates made, so I can sell 5 of them for $80 each shipped via paypal. These kits will include a 14mm hex, a laser cut steel plate, and attaching hardware (studs, nuts, & washers), all made in the USA, and will need some fitting and finishing to your caged lower pulley drive described below.

This will keep your lower cage from getting jammed on too tight with smaller blowers, or worse yet the tribar getting plowed through from the driveshaft continuing to tighten beyond the factory stops, which are lightly made. The hex will need to be welded in to your plate at the proper depth, and the 3 holes in the plate will need to be drilled from 0.330" to your choice of size to clear the 3/8" studs, I drilled my holes to 0.390". There have been several ways to attach the lock plate. The way I attached mine is the 3 holes in the tribar were drilled and tapped for 3/8-24. The existing holes in the tribar are almost already the right size for this, they measure about 0.330" diameter at the front edge. I installed setscrews as studs with red loctite to a depth flush with the rear face of the tribar. There was only about 0.050" of clearance behind the tribar between the outer front edge of the support bearing and the back of the tribar when installed, so that is one reason I went the way I did. I also left a little clearance behind the hex in the drive plate so the plate will bottom out on the front of the tribar before the hex bottoms out in the factory 14mm hex bore. A 9/16" hex (0.5625") would not fit in the 14mm hex (0.5512") drive bore, as mine has not seen any impact wrenches. I also bolted the lock plate down to the tribar for welding, and welded 1 flat at a time in a criss-cross pattern. I left a 14mm hex stub sticking out on the front to be able to turn the engine over by had if need-be. Bondhus rates the 14mm hex key to 673 ft-lbs of torque before it permanently deforms, but welding will take that down a bit.
lock 1.png

lock 2.png

An example of a finished piece shown below
lock 4.png

lock 3.png

67351stang

Established Member
the center "nut" on the factory tribar has a really thin wall, but the driveshaft does not have any extra material for a hard stop even if the nut had a thicker wall.
lock 5.png

67351stang

Established Member
Here's what started this project. I got the polyurethane tubing at mcmaster carr to make some replacement bushings, the factory ones were shot, not far from just falling out. Needless to say, I barely got my tribar apart, even with heat and 4' long 3/4" drive tools... Some of the threads on the 25mm thread drive ripped out, but I was able to clean up the threads with some lapping compound. I didn't have a M25 x 1.5 left hand tap and die handy, so running the two pieces together with the lapping compound on the threads fixed the damage to where it threaded on easily by hand after everything was cleaned up. Now the threads have anti-seize on them since the hub lock transmits the drive torque now, not the M25 drive thread jammed on.

67351stang

Established Member
The nuts used on the lock plate attachment are all metal flex top lock nuts, equivalent to grade 8 strength, and are cadmium plated, as are the washers, which are 4130 steel, and military spec.
I torqued the nuts to 30 ft-lbs, a test for the 1/4" thick tribar plate. The studs are 3/8"-24 x 1.25" long alloy set screws, and have a 3/16" allen drive internal hex.

67351stang

Established Member
After putting some miles on the 14mm hex pulley lock, it does have some rotational clearance/lash. I now have some 9/16" hex = 14.3mm I will add a piece to the kit, and make one for myself. Now I have 4 I could sell un-assembled/un-welded and one 14mm welded, in attached pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread