Cobra cutting out at wide open throttle

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
I have been searching the forum for a little while, and I have been unable to come up with a solution. The Cobra in question has full exhaust, 115mm throttle body, 2.8 upper, steggy stage 4 ported blower, stock injectors, stock fuel pump and a kenne bell BAP. The car was tuned by Bob Kurgan, who unfortunately is now halfway accross the U.S. with an Xcal 3. Recently the car likes to hesitate badly during Wide open throttle applications. I thought maybe I blew the fuse on the BAP, but I just checked it earlier and it's fine. It is the 40Amp BAP. I turned the key a few times to see if I could hear it kick on, but I'm not sure if all I am hearing is the factory fuel pump. I could have swore I could here the BAP running, but it's been awhile since I have paid attention at start up. The car idles just fine and drives great, but at WOT it feels like it's missing bad. It almost feels like the car is holding itself back. Do you think I'm running lean, and that's why it is falling on its face? The car does have NGK TR6's that are pretty new. Any ideas? This is definitely irritating the shit out of me.

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
Thanks Bob, Ill check the plugs when I get a chance, the fuel filter is the stock one, the car only has about 7,400 miles on it.

Last edited:

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
If your car is an 04 with 7400 miles on it I would definitely change the fuel filter. Especially if the fuel you use contains 10% ethanol.
In the OLD DAY fuel pickups had a filter sock on them that would get dirty and colapse under WOT

Last edited:

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
If your car is an 04 with 7400 miles on it I would definitely change the fuel filter. Especially if the fuel you use contains 10% ethanol.
In the OLD DAY fuel pickups had a filter sock on them that would get dirty and colapse under WOT

Unfortunately 10% ethanol is about all you can get around here. I haven't changed a fuel filter on a 03-04 Cobra, do you have to drop the tank to get to it?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Unfortunately 10% ethanol is about all you can get around here. I haven't changed a fuel filter on a 03-04 Cobra, do you have to drop the tank to get to it?

No, but it's a pita, hard to get both your hands up there. Make sure you have a descent disconnect tool

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
It lays down when you get high up in the RPM range but only at wide open throttle. I'm going to change the plugs later on today and see if this fixes the problem first. It's not like when people talk about the pprv, when you let off during hard driving. This is when you mash the pedal. In about any gear

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
Just changed the plugs and oil, and took it for a spin. Runs like a champ up top again! I can't believe the difference it made! Thanks for the advice Bob! I did buy a fuel filter as well, and will be changing it in the near future. Thanks for the write up info Coyote 5.0!

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
I wish I would have changed the plugs sooner, feels like the first time I had it tuned after the ported blower. Now if I just had the money for a Whipple or Kenne Bell...

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Did it pop at all when you mashed the throttle? Mine is doing a similar thing at WOT, but it also pops really bad so I let out. If I accelerate slowly through the RPMs it is fine. I know I am running a little rich (waiting for wideband next week before I change tune), but Im wondering if I have the same plug/gap issue you had. I am running autolite iridiums though

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
I probably should have gone with the TR6s because so many people use them, but I decided to go autolite iridium. Since I went iridium I gapped them bigger than what most people do with the copper plugs, but I put them at . 038 and everything is good now.

Users who are viewing this thread