Cobra dies 4 days before warrenty is up!

mustangmaniac4l

Grand Poobah SVT Poster
Established Member
kyStang1889 said:
Dealerships are different but fords policy is the warrenty doesn't cover things that failed because of after market mod.

From my knowledge it has to be proven that the part failed b/c of the mod. :shrug:

WDW MKR

Established Member
thnktwce said:
No they just do it cause they can bully people around. Ok I have a roll cage,kenne bell,c4,solid axle,its a full blown drag car. The clear coat on the paint is screwed up bad, bet ya I get a new paint job. Im telling you I have talked to the owner of a major ford dealership, and he himself has said that dealerships bully people around and if the people would fight it just a little 9 times out of 10 the dealer will end up doing work.

Paint is totally irrelevant to the powertrain warranty. Anyone who has their dealer try to void the warranty on a window switch b/c of the tires they run needs to wisen up or find another dealer. Getting action from the dealer by threatening legal action is a rarity; just do a search on this topic. You're lucky that you have a cool dealer. Ford made serious cuts to variable costs last year. I'll give you one guess on what made for one of their biggest savings...

toro1966

Toro 66
Established Member
I completely concur that the law says that the dealer has to show that the modification caused the damage to a covered part in order to deny warranty service. HOWEVER, I wholeheartedly agree with most everyone else when I say that if you brought in your car for a leaking rear and your car had pulleys, etc on it. The dealer COULD deny your warranty.

Let's say that in the case above you were right, the modifications did not cause your leaking rear end. How would you prove it? The dealer simply tells you too bad. You go off steaming mad and threaten to call your lawyer and the detailer calls you on it and says, "here, give him my card". What do you do then? Lawyers are expensive. And it is very hard for you to prove that the mods DIDN't have anything to do with the failure as the dealer suggests. In addtion, your s#@t is still broke until you can resolve the matter.

Bottom line is that I think you were lucky that a little bullying worked. Most average individuals don't have the time or the money to fight a dealer that says too bad. That is why I always remember that there are LOTS of Ford dealers. If one denies you, go to another. You will likely eventually find one that will do the job.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Bob has hit the nail right on the head. Guys, my family had a Ford dealership for over 20 years. You are smoking something if you think you can mod one of these cars and then spout Magnussen and get your car warrantied. I would be willing to bet that NONE of you have read the entire warranty...including all the small print. Ford is on solid ground. Think about it! If you built a product...any product...and offered a warranty for that product, then some one modified it away from the way you designed it, then asked for warranty coverage...what would you do??? It's now a different product than the one you designed. Of course you wouldn't warranty it!

Ford loves seeing these cars being modified and perform at the level they are. They are just not willing to finance it for you! So get your lawyers. You will end up in arbitration. And with very rare exception, you will lose.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
FireRed04Vert said:
Bob has hit the nail right on the head. Guys, my family had a Ford dealership for over 20 years. You are smoking something if you think you can mod one of these cars and then spout Magnussen and get your car warrantied. I would be willing to bet that NONE of you have read the entire warranty...including all the small print. Ford is on solid ground. Think about it! If you built a product...any product...and offered a warranty for that product, then some one modified it away from the way you designed it, then asked for warranty coverage...what would you do??? It's now a different product than the one you designed. Of course you wouldn't warranty it!

Ford loves seeing these cars being modified and perform at the level they are. They are just not willing to finance it for you! So get your lawyers. You will end up in arbitration. And with very rare exception, you will lose.
Thanks for your input buddy. Good comments. This whole issue of warrantee denials can be like a pool of muddy water. My best advice to anyone is to find the most "friendly" dealer in your area as you can. Even if you have to drive a bit out of your way to do it. I used to drive one hour to get to my "friendly" dealer, Lombard Ford. There were two other dealers much closer. I went there simply because they would always do their best for me. No guarantees, though, once I stepped over the "simple mods" line. LOL!

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
In regards to warranty it still seems to come down to the dealer. Sure where im at now if I blew the engine the dealership would look at me funny if I even motioned in the direction of a warranty repair (whipple, etc), so we understand each other in that respect. But they still cover less expensive items unrelated
to the mods, such as bad power window motor, third tail light (that has cracked on a lot of cobras), defective air bag, etc.

i even have an extended warranty, if they voided it I would expect them to refund the remaining funds for it, but its less hassle i think for them to just not cover a lot of the car and just keep me happy with fixing the little less expensive things.

id be really surprised if they would fail to repair a defective safety feature of the car (like the air bag, air bag censor, because you have some bolt on mods).
but I suppose that depends on your relationship with the dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread