Cobra dies sometimes when shifted to neutral...

chappeja

Established Member
***CHECK UPDATE AT BOTTOM*** My Cobra has been dying sometimes when I shift it into neutral from some other gear. When I got it tuned Saturday, I told the tuner this and he tuned it to idle a little higher, but he said that may not fix it, that the throttle body's idle may need to be mechanically adjusted. Has anyone else had this problem, or knows how to fix it, please help. Thanks.

Last edited:

SpectorV

Established Member
my 01 mustang did this, it was the IAC (idle bypass valve) its usually cylinder shaped. I think its on top of the throttle body~ it controls idle in neutral. In cold weather it seems to act up, you can clean it and see if it helps then at least you know where the issue is~

chappeja

Established Member
my 01 mustang did this, it was the IAC (idle bypass valve) its usually cylinder shaped. I think its on top of the throttle body~ it controls idle in neutral. In cold weather it seems to act up, you can clean it and see if it helps then at least you know where the issue is~

i have heard of other peoples doing this during cold weather, and it is kinda cold down here ~ 50-65F on average, but i checked the IAC and it was pretty clean. is maybe the throttle body shutting momentarily, enough time for the IAC to see no air flow and shut off the car?

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
There was a "stall" flash done by dealers when the cars were under warranty. Both of my Cobras have the new flash and they still stall. I had the coupe tuned and it helped a little but it still stalls. The vert still stalls when it's cold out. Like stated already, leaving it in gear seems to minimize it.

no2moro

Established Member
I had the issue on both my 03 Cobras. One of the cars quit doing it after a SCT tune. The other is stock and the dealership replaced the ECU twice. It does not stall anymore.

Heater

Just Bolt On's
Established Member
Had my 03' tuned by a guy in Ga. and now mine doesn't stall anymore.

Had to say that the stalling issue could be very scary, especially when I was trying to stop in traffic.

gibsonboy3000

Established Member
Yah u can take it back to d dealership and they can tune it where it doesn't stall or u can get a custom tune from someone... yah if it does happen to die out just throw it in gear again and it'll start rite back up... oh and DO NOT mess with ur throttlebody... if u do it'll cause the tps sensor to get stuck thus makin ur rpms get stuck! Not fun at all "/

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Mine started the stall when I put a Single blade TB on in the winter. After driving it for about two weeks, it adjusted its self and it doesn't do it near as much... rarely ever now

Mustang-Jeff

Established Member
I have an 03 Cobra. Mine did it less when I put an Accufab throttle body on and tuned it with my Sniper software. Still does it but not as often, maybe once a month. Anyone know what was changed on the tune to prevent this?

chappeja

Established Member
my tuner adjusted the IAC but it is still doing it A LOT. in fact, it stalled about 10 times from the shop until I got back on the interstate, which is only about 4 or 5 miles...but it was in traffic...i really want to get this fixed...does anyone know a DEFINITE solution to this problem?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Did he install the revision?I had the same issue till I got my car tuned.
From CobraBob`s site.
17-54-2 DRIVEABILITY - Stall Issue - Referred to as 'Lack of Power on Decel". SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DRIVABILITY CONCERNS INCLUDING LOSS OF POWER ON DECEL. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE CALIBRATION OF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION AVAILABLE USING WDS RELEASE B29.3 OR HIGHER.

03VNM

Established Member
Mine did this after a CAI install. I replaced the stock screen before the MAF and no more stall. Best of Luck

chappeja

Established Member
Did he install the revision?I had the same issue till I got my car tuned.
From CobraBob`s site.
17-54-2 DRIVEABILITY - Stall Issue - Referred to as 'Lack of Power on Decel". SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DRIVABILITY CONCERNS INCLUDING LOSS OF POWER ON DECEL. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE CALIBRATION OF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION AVAILABLE USING WDS RELEASE B29.3 OR HIGHER.

i dont know if he did, i assume not cause he may not have thought about it at the time. can i do this myself with my SCT tuner?

gotboost03

gotboost?
Established Member
Its not often but it does happen to me as well. Leaving it in gear does help. Mine will stall when I am coming to a red light or something and I throw it in neutral kind of early.

Users who are viewing this thread