Cobra Engineering Head Cooling Mod Install w/pics

TorchRedSVT

Established Member
Cobra Engineering Head Cooling Mod Install using -12AN

This was the best way I was able to find readily available connectors to do this. Certain adapters such as 90° 3/8 NPT to -12 are really expensive so it is much cheaper to step it up using -10/-12 adapters. You could really get away with -10 on this but -12 matches up to the 3/4 heater hose coming from the heater core.

Feel free to comment with the adapters/parts lists that you used to complete your kit, there are many different ways to accomplish this, this is just how I made the kit to work well with my car so I thought I would share. The quality on the Cobra Engineering kit is second to none and allows alot of flexibility.

First you will need to purchase the Cobra Engineering Head Cooling mod from Cobra Engineering LLC

Parts that I used (Part #’s from Summit Racing):
2x AER-FBM1015 FITTING #12 STRAIGHT
1x FRA-498306 T FEM SWIVEL ON RUN
2x MRG-A3810B 3/8 NPT TO -10AN 90 DEGREES
1x SUM-220224 -10 TO -12 ADAPTER
1x SUM-230203 S.S. HOSE -12 3FT
1x RUS-640571 ADAPTER FITTING
1x RUS-670330-12 BARB FITTING

Parts from hardware store:
1x Metric 8mm button head allen bolt to clear the hose/adapter fitting, not sure of the pitch (I think this was 8mm I did not write the size down so someone correct me if I am wrong on the size).

My total cost was ~$260

To Install:
First Install the 90° 3/8 NPT adapters into the Cobra Engineering adapters, use some thread sealer since these are pipe threads (this is all the thread sealer that you should need since the remaining connections are using AN fittings that do not require sealer.

IMG_20130423_165642_293.jpg

Next loosely connect the -10 to -12 adapter to the driver’s side 90° elbow, then connect a -12 hose end (take the collar off of the hose end so that you can see the nipple that the -12 hose slides onto)

Now loosely assemble the passenger side, after the 90° elbow install the -10 to -12 female to female adapter, then the -12 tee fitting with the female end on top, and on the very top screw in the ¾ nipple. Once again put a -12 hose end on the left side of the tee fitting (take the collar off of the hose end so that you can see the nipple that the -12 hose slides onto).

IMG_20130425_102123_131.jpg

Place both assemblies into the heads and measure from nipple to nipple to figure out what length to cut the -12 hose (better to measure too long then too short, since these ends can be disassembled and the hose recut).

Next you will need to figure out how much to cut from the hose leading to the heater core (I removed the hose, it was much easier this way, you will probably find it easier to never engage the heater hose back onto the heater core completely until you are ready to install it back it for good since it can be a pain to get loose). On my install it was necessary to remove the restrictor in order to allow the nipple to fully engage the hose properly. To remove the restrictor cut the band clamp on the hose and get a really long lag screw and screw it into the reducer and give it a pull to remove it from the hose.

In order to get my hose geometry correct, I ended up taking about 2 inches off the hose, I also took the first part of the nipple off of the ¾ hose barb to reduce the pressure on the bend of the heater hose. See below for a comparison of the height of the stock piece vs the replacement passenger side piece. The main thing here is to make sure that the bend in the factory hose is not too extreme or bunches up at the top because enough length was not cut off.

IMG_20130425_095425_082.jpg

IMG_20130425_122543_490.jpg

Once the heater hose is cut test fit everything together, the tee fitting will need to be tightened at a slight angle to clear the head/block, on the driver’s side the upper bolt will need to be replaced with the button cap allen head bolt so the hose will clear.

IMG_20130425_113442_839.jpg

IMG_20130423_180059_007.jpg

I would also trim the bolt pictured below even with the nut. (On my car I left it originally because it cleared but when the engine moved around the stud began to rub the AN fittings after around 250 miles, it would be better to take care of the bolt before it becomes a problem because it is tighter to get to after the fact)

IMG_20130528_180922_161.jpg

Once the fit is verified, take the parts back off (you might not have to remove the heater hose, but it does make it easier to attach the heater hose to the tee fitting while off of the car). Assemble the parts outside of the car as an assembly. Put dielectric grease or antifreeze on the O-rings an install the assembly into the cylinder heads and attach the heater hose connector to the heater core. Then pressure test and refill/burp the system.

IMG_20130425_122536_703.jpg

IMG_20130425_115724_357.jpg

:beer:

Last edited:

TorchRedSVT

Established Member
that actually looks pretty good, to bad install would be a pain in the ass.

The only painful part was figuring out what fittings would be needed without seeing them in person. I had another brand head cooling mod that did not fit in the freeze plug holes in the heads that was the biggest PITA . The Cobra Engineering kit fit perfectly though, It's just too bad that this kit is on the backside where no one will ever see it.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
that looks damn good and i thank you for making this post! I will be ordering those exact same parts as my tranny and engine is getting ready to come out

TorchRedSVT

Established Member
that looks damn good and i thank you for making this post! I will be ordering those exact same parts as my tranny and engine is getting ready to come out

No problem glad I could help, I figured that it could help someone knowing what fittings could work. The only way I think it could be better is to find a way to make the whole passenger side setup shorter so that the heater hose does not have to be cut (the only problem would be doing that cheaply since 3/8 to -12 adapters aren't cheap). The place I spent the most time was cutting a little off the heater hose at a time until I had the length just right so that the hose did not "bunch up" on itself which is critical since the factory hose is molded and has such an odd bend to it.

04cobra8u

Fellow SVT Poster
Established Member
Can anyone explain if this is a better design than the gen 2 head cooling mod?
Motor is out and might consider going this route...

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
For those running this kit. How much space will be had if the stock EGR tube from the headers were in place? Looks like it'll be a tight fit, if not make contact with the hose connecting both heads.

dpancer

Established Member
I bought my cobra second hand so i didnt know what was done to it. One of the first mods i ordered and installed was the even flow cooling mod. After just recently getting a reman motor I noticed that the driver's side head had a heater outlet tube running to the passenger side aka the LCD cooling mod.

So now im thinking, since i have both HCM's, would there be any benefit to installing both? the motor is still out.

Users who are viewing this thread