Cobra go boom

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
Haha, not really.. Just the clutch. Yesterday on my way to work I was able to spin the tires in 2nd going about 40ish mph (tires have seen better days, and the cold weather makes my car run gooood). Went out today to get some lunch and grab some parts for my SHO.. I felt a bit spirited again today... and kaboom she went LOL. I was barely able to limp it home. I knew the clutch was on it's way out.. Looks like that's my next mod. Not to mention I need new brakes as well. Sweeeet. :bowdown:

I'm going to replace everything (clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, P/B, TOB, and maybe an aluminum D/S to boot), but just for shits... any of you have any guesses as to what it might have been? The pedal feels a lot lighter than it did before, it grabs gear at the END of the pedal, it slips at partial throttle, and required two hand to be put into gear... and only select gears too. The synchros hated me on the limp back home. It also was whistling pretty good.

And FWIW, the clutch went out about 8 months ago. Slipped like hell in all gears, and the pedal was VERY heavy. Then one day... It was fine. WTF? I don't even feel like diagnosing it.. Just going to replace it all since I plan on launching it on slicks with 4.30's come summertime.

Oh, and to top it off... I get it home, jump into my DD SHO, and it wont start. LOL. But that is only because of the shitty corrosion on the battery terminals. I was actually going out to get parts to fix that issue today, hah.

Edit - I suck at spelling

Last edited:

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
No point in being pissed since it's my own fault and I knew it would go someday. I'm just happy I have a DD so I can afford to let it sit for a bit while I get ahold of all the parts I need!

CobraBen98

GO SPURS GO!
Established Member
No point in being pissed since it's my own fault and I knew it would go someday.

I wish everone had that attitude. That's how I am, I know what to expect when the vehicle needs maintenance. I hate it when people dog their cars because of issues like this. How's that SHO treating you, btw. I want to get a DD like that.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
sweet man, i have the same attitude. i just got new rear calipers today and paid 220 with a core fee, and my girl looked at me like i was crazy. i said its worth it! that and i havent gone christmas shopping yet and i am now broke haha

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
what kinda clutch are you going to put in it, and whats the one you just put to bed?

I believe I blew up the stockie, ha. I'm not sure what kind it is, but it wasn't too great at grabbing gear.. So I'm assuming it was stock. 95k on the car... clutch chattered a bit when I bought it, then it was slipping bad 8 months ago. I knew it was just a matter of time..

As far as replacement, I'm not totally sure, but odds are I'll do a King Cobra. I'll have to check at my work on Monday to see what I can get for the best price.

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
I wish everone had that attitude. That's how I am, I know what to expect when the vehicle needs maintenance. I hate it when people dog their cars because of issues like this. How's that SHO treating you, btw. I want to get a DD like that.

SHO is cool. I bought it for cheap because it needed work... I've done most of the work, but there's still things here and there I need to finish. It is quuuuick for how cheap you can get em. I'd assume it would run a mid-high 14 (it's stock).

Well worth it for a DD. Just be prepared to test that attitude you mentioned. Mine is a 91 and I've had some issues with maintinance on it. I still love it though :)

Users who are viewing this thread