Cobra IRS Delrin control arm bushings

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
BlackBolt9 said:
I know there was discussion as to a different material to use for the front diff spacers. I talked with my material guy and he got me some G-11. Its a glass filled phenolic that is supposed to hold its mechanical strength at higher temperatures. It is also self extinguishing which is always a plus in those rare cases of fire. If someone is interested in trying this I have enough material to produce a couple sets if someone is interested in trying them. Let me know what you guys think.

Always interested! I dont know if that material is physically strong enough.

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I haven't hit it with a hammer or anything yet but it seems very rigid. I am more concerned with cracking because it is very dense and hard. Its almost like fiberglass but not quite. I wanted to use G-7 because it will won't lose mechanical properties in excess of 500 degF but that is a glass silicone and I was afraid that would be even more brittle. Does anyone have more experience with this stuff? I don't have much at all but it sounded good on paper and I am sure we all know how that works out.

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
BlackBolt9 said:
I talked with my material guy and he got me some G-11. Its a glass filled phenolic that is supposed to hold its mechanical strength at higher temperatures.

Without re-reading everything here, why were people unhappy w/ the aluminum? Was it because of the noise transmitted? A little gear noise never hurt anyone, right Bruce? :beer:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Mr. Mysti said:
Without re-reading everything here, why were people unhappy w/ the aluminum? Was it because of the noise transmitted? A little gear noise never hurt anyone, right Bruce? :beer:
in a nutshell... yes

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
Mr. Mysti said:
While mine were not the units from Bruce's kit, the amount of noise into my cabin was such that I was not willing to try another AL set again no matter who makes them. I'm not a road race guy, so I have reduced fears of the urethane softening over time. A yearly replacement is a small trade-off for being able to hold a converrsation with my passenger, or enjoy a 2 hour drive without repetive stress syndrome causing me to want to drive my car into a pole. Or swede. :)

I would be interested should someone find a material that can take the heat yet not transmit the NVH.

YMMV
Don

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
johnny-longtors said:
While mine were not the units from Bruce's kit, the amount of noise into my cabin was such that I was not willing to try another AL set again no matter who makes them. I'm not a road race guy, so I have reduced fears of the urethane softening over time. A yearly replacement is a small trade-off for being able to hold a converrsation with my passenger, or enjoy a 2 hour drive without repetive stress syndrome causing me to want to drive my car into a pole. Or swede. :)

I would be interested should someone find a material that can take the heat yet not transmit the NVH.

YMMV
Don

On the other hand I had the KB aluminum ones with the stock differential and I now have the MM aluminum ones with a Torsen T2R and don't have any noise from them. I think the ones that have noise are either something seriously wrong or they are not installed correctly.

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
The MM ones did not add too much to my setup. Then again, a new ring and pinion were also put in.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
toofast4u said:
On the other hand I had the KB aluminum ones with the stock differential and I now have the MM aluminum ones with a Torsen T2R and don't have any noise from them. I think the ones that have noise are either something seriously wrong or they are not installed correctly.

Possibly a bad pinion angle would cause more noise.

I have the Brand N ones in my garage, but haven't installed them yet. Besides the MM with the fancy washers, all the alumnium ones are pretty much the same. The pinion angle and rear mount are the only two real variables. I would assume a solid alumnium rear mount would make alot more noise than a delrin one.

Last edited:

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
I have had the complete brand 'N' kit in now for a couple of weeks - **heavily massaged** to fit. I notice some additional noise around 70, but it's not bad *so far*. I also have the whole back of the car covered in brown bread.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
MidLifeC said:
I have had the complete brand 'N' kit in now for a couple of weeks - **heavily massaged** to fit. I notice some additional noise around 70, but it's not bad *so far*. I also have the whole back of the car covered in brown bread.

Are you talking delrin arm bushing and everything? or just diff bushings?

If the answer is everything, how were the diff bushings to install?

Thanks!

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Are you talking delrin arm bushing and everything? or just diff bushings?

If the answer is everything, how were the diff bushings to install?

Thanks!

The pinion differential bushings are cake you can change those in around 1 hour. The differential cover bushing is a real PIA and you have to remove the half-shafts and drop the differential to get to it. The reason I went to the MM bushing was once I took it appart I didn't want to have to worry about doing it again. Removing the half-shafts require you to disconnect most of the rear suspension.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
I bought all of his stuff, including the Delrin. I had the benefit of Postban's experience as we did his first (his is now out).

I spent alot of time honing and polishing the bushings. ?RRcobra on mod fords posted a write up on it.

The diff bushings were easy because the entire IRS was out of the car. New gears, T2R, BF brace, etc. I am running Gingerman this weekend so I'll have a better idea if 12 months of work was worth it...

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
leave the knuckles, caliper mounting brackets, and brake discs together as an assembly and its only five bolts and a nut on each side to get the half shafts out.

toofast4u said:
The pinion differential bushings are cake you can change those in around 1 hour. The differential cover bushing is a real PIA and you have to remove the half-shafts and drop the differential to get to it. The reason I went to the MM bushing was once I took it appart I didn't want to have to worry about doing it again. Removing the half-shafts require you to disconnect most of the rear suspension.

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
DO NOT use Nick's bushings unless you plan to service them at regular intervals. The cores of the UCAs are steel, and what happened on my car was that they rusted, in effect seizing in place, this caused the delrin to start to "roll", and once that began to happen the bushings basically chewed themselves to death. I had a short video of me rotating them (in all planes) in the arms but I must have deleted it. I've got the arms sitting if anyone needs photographic evidence to compel them to leave these things alone.....

In short, IMHO you cannot polish the turd that is Brand N bushings (other than possibly the LCAs). You may buy some time with repeated greasings or zerk fittings (which I put all around on my new arms) - but I'd just send Bruce a check and be done with it...

YMMV
Don
(note the above took place over about 18 months in service)

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
leave the knuckles, caliper mounting brackets, and brake discs together as an assembly and its only five bolts and a nut on each side to get the half shafts out.

That is basically how I did it, but it is still a PIA IMO to drop the differential.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well, seeing that toofast has brought this thing back up anyway, I figured I'd show you our latest revision to the upper control arm bushings!

We have upgraded the upper control arm bushings. These have a larger, 15/16" inner sleeve as opposed to the previous set that had only a 7/8" sleeve. This will give a greater area for wear. The brand "N" bushings only had a 3/4" upper inner sleeve and I did not get good life out of that small diameter. That is why it has been increased in size twice now. Now the inner metal sleeves in the upper control arms also get removed just like the lowers. Here's a photo of the new hot color Ken picked out ;-) upper control arm bushings installed in the arm:

newdelrinuca2cj3.jpg

newdelrinuca1hq4.jpg

Too bad you can't see these beauties once they are on the car! :-D Just as a suggestion Ken, I think purple would really be hot!! ;-) :poke:

I know it's coming into the mod season now and the sets have been moving pretty good of late. Right now I'm completely out of the lower control arm sets but they are on order and I hope to see them mid November. I have plenty of the other components so if you're looking for subframe kits or diff mount kits I've got them in stock!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread