Cobra is eating my belt every 1000kms

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Cobra is eating my belt every 1000 miles

Does anyone have this problem? Ever since I put an upper 2.93 and a 4 pound lower, my belt gets wear on the inner part of the belt. I have to change it every 1000 miles or so. Is something not aligning up properly, or is this one of the things that goes along with having more power than stock. I used gatorback, then switched to Gates to see if there was a difference. No difference, they wear about the same, but I like the gatorback for its nice whining centrifugal type sound. :D

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Sounds like an alignment issue. Most likely with the lower pulley.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Are you sure that you go the upper pulley pressed on all of the way?

YellowCobra28

Established Member
The upper pulley was put on by Doug at Billet flow himself, so the upper may not be the problem. He also recommended the right size belt so I don't think that is the problem either. As far as the lower pulley, it was a bitch to get on, and nobody wants to go near it anyway. :cuss:

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The shredded belts are also a sign of possible heavy belt slip do to misalignment. You may be missing some serious power up top.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
I'm not too worried about the power loss. I have way too much power. PSI is always steady at about 15psi. Lots of power on demand. With nitrous coming soon, I will be going through a lot of belts.

mustang196718

Snake#796,The Rice Killer
Established Member
I definitely don't have that problem with belts. I just yesterday changed to a gatorback poly-v, but my stock belt lasted me about 18k miles and it didn't even really need to be changed yet, I just did it cuz I wanted the sound of the gatorback. Also, I ran all those miles with all the mods in my sig. Definitely sounds like an alignment issue somewhere because you shouldn't be going through belts like that.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, yeah I'd say its the lower alignment. Next week, I'm going to Billetflow to see Doug himself. He's going to set the lower pulley in the upper position(its been in the lower position for now). While I'm there, I'm going to get the 4 BF idler pulleys. He's going to install it for me, so I know that the issue will be resolved. He recommended a good belt length too. Dougy is da man!!!!!

dougwg

Established Member
03soniccobra01 said:
Move the lower idler (on the lower kit bracket) up one hole and enjoy shread free excitement from then on!

yes, thats what he ment...

I'm moving the lower idler up on the "T" plate

YellowCobra28

Established Member
I finally got around to moving the lower idler on the T plate(I put it in the upper position), and no more belt chewing. I didn't get around to changing all 4 stock idlers, but that will be something for me to think about next year. I'm putting the car is storage soon. Later...

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
YellowCobra28 said:
..snip.. I didn't get around to changing all 4 stock idlers, but that will be something for me to think about next year. ...snip...

My lower was causing belt chow also. It may not be just the idler. I also had to pace out the lower, the upper and get a new Reichard Racing tensioner before it quit.

I'm also in the 4 ruined belt club :nonono:

all beter now though

Users who are viewing this thread