Cobra issues, need advice please!!!

Auto

Established Member
Friday, I was driving home and everything was behaving normally. I drove about 30 miles on the freeway, didn't get on it or anything. Well as soon as I exit and take off from the light my car starts to bog down really really bad. It sounded like I was driving under water, exhaust was really gargled and I lost a ton of power. I thought I was in the wrong gear, so I shifted and all of a sudden the car dies on me... WTF?!?! Steering locked up and I almost crashed into another car ...

Luckily, I was able to get to the side of the rode without incident. I popped the hood, everything looks normal, including the MAF sensor. I looked under the car and no leaks of any kind. I tried to start it back up and it turned over but then fell on its face. I tried again nothing, the starter was just ticking away.

My dad, who is a mechanic, said that it may be the fuel pump that just went out??? I never run it real low on gas and the car only has 76k miles on an 01. All the electrical works fine, and the car turns on but won't start. I plugged in my code reader and there were no codes thrown. Anyone have any other ideas what it could be??

Cliffs: Car bogs down and loses power then just dies on me while driving outta nowhere, no previous issues. I think it could be fuel pump? Any other ideas? Thanks guys.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump to prime. You should be able to hear a slight whine for just a few seconds each time the key is turned on.

toyotabike

Established Member
You mentioned that the starter was "ticking away". Does this mean it cranks or not? If it does not crank, jump it and check the alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread