Cobra Jet CAI options

herzeleid05

Established Member
I am looking at a Cobra Jet package that offers the choice of the Ford Racing CAI, or the JLT CAI. Anyone know of any considerable difference between the two?

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
I'm pretty sure that the FRPP CAI doesn't come with the grommet that you need for A6 guys. I know the JLT does. Not sure what trans you have.

KushBandit

Established Member
I'm pretty sure that the FRPP CAI doesn't come with the grommet that you need for A6 guys. I know the JLT does. Not sure what trans you have.

You're right, it doesn't. However, you don't need that even with an automatic. I yanked out the one way check valve on my car and added the check valve to the brake booster, like the MT-82 cars. Works great.

herzeleid05

Established Member
Yeah, it's the CFM kit. It seems like a pretty good deal. I have a Manual. I was just curious if either CAI held any advantage. Appreciate the responses.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Yeah, it's the CFM kit. It seems like a pretty good deal. I have a Manual. I was just curious if either CAI held any advantage. Appreciate the responses.

To not start a CAI debate just ask your tuner which one he prefers. No real advantage proven...

Last edited:

jn2

Established Member
I went with the FRPP myself. It was a really easy install and maintains the stock air feed from the bottom of the box. The JLT one is a re-worked 2010 model that uses a normal "heat shield" rather than a box that allows you to mate to the stock feed like their 11+ intakes do. IIRC they did it so they can produce 1 intake that fits the 4.6 and the CJ cars.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
I went with the FRPP myself. It was a really easy install and maintains the stock air feed from the bottom of the box. The JLT one is a re-worked 2010 model that uses a normal "heat shield" rather than a box that allows you to mate to the stock feed like their 11+ intakes do. IIRC they did it so they can produce 1 intake that fits the 4.6 and the CJ cars.

Pretty sure JLT has some revised kits out now that use the stock airbox setup. They call it a "true cold air" kit. That's the one I have. Not sure if its the same for the CJ setup, but pretty sure it is.

jn2

Established Member

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
The JLT heat shield bumps right up to where the intake tube on stock box goes. It's actually a more wide open shot (not pinched down tube) into the filter area from the grill. I dremelled out the far right side area on my factory CS grill (and moved my pony tri-bar to left side of grill) to allow more air flow into intake area. So it is a cold air intake, just not a sealed one.

Users who are viewing this thread