Cobra Jet intake going on stockish auto 5.0!!

goat-ee

Established Member
Question? How important is it to do oil pump gears if I end up running the kind of rpm it takes to get the most out of this combo? Any idea on how hard it is to install the pump gears, and what are the best gears to buy?

Are you installing this weekend?

No, the CAI hasn't even shipped yet (as far as I know), hopefully still shipping by Friday. And besides, I just bought the Boss installation kit today. So I won't see anything until early next week at best. Too bad though, I'm off the next 3 days and nothing going on.

Gl with the combo I love mine on my 2014 gt auto. I have gt lift frpp CJ exh cams and twin 65mm and a custom JLT CAI I built and 1 7/8 Longtubes and a circle d 4c that loose(4500 stall) even with a 3.15 rear gear it shreds the drag radials off idle with full suspension struts etc on street and pulls to 7800rpm

How is the throttle response? You haven't been to the strip have you? Is your vert the one with the Mach 1 4V swap?

Last edited:

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
How is the throttle response? You haven't been to the strip have you? Is your vert the one with the Mach 1 4V swap?

Very crisp
Still dialing in the tune with Lund but should be at track soon
It's ridiculous on the street.

The 4V swap was a coupe I sold those cars a while back the vert was a built 2v n/a motor
I need to update my sig lol

goat-ee

Established Member
Well, no point in having the extra hp when I couldn't hook up what I had at the strip. Just sent payment on these, I hope that does the trick!!!! http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/wheels-tires-392/988457-nitto-nto5r-drag-radials.html Will put these on as soon as the snow stops. In place of the snow tires currently on the 10' GT500 convertible 18 x 9.5" wheels currently on the car.

Nitto-NT05R_zps08d81a5d.jpg

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
It just got real!!!! Intake showed up just now!! Thanks to Steve @ Tasca for the great price and svtperformance forum discount. And an especially big thanks to 01bluesnake for the beautiful port and polish work.

temporary_zps745919eb.jpg

temporary_zps1ff13e47.jpg

goat-ee

Established Member
Just a quick, although about useless update. The new drag radials here tomorrow, Tasca shipped the Boss 302 installation kit. That leaves only the CAI before I can start the swap. It sounds like its been delayed at least somewhat. Hoping for an update on when that will ship tomorrow.

I've been through the directions for the installation a number of times and it sounds pretty straight forward. How long does installation take the average guy. I have a number in my head that I'm guessing, but i want to make sure i give myself enough time once i start.

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
The intake swap takes about 1hr-1.5hrs depending on whether to take a break
Lol

It's super easy swap the hardest part is swapping the pigtail on the throttle body plug to match the conversion harness for the gt500 style throttle body

Mike Rousch

Established Member
Just a quick, although about useless update. The new drag radials here tomorrow, Tasca shipped the Boss 302 installation kit. That leaves only the CAI before I can start the swap. It sounds like its been delayed at least somewhat. Hoping for an update on when that will ship tomorrow.

I've been through the directions for the installation a number of times and it sounds pretty straight forward. How long does installation take the average guy. I have a number in my head that I'm guessing, but i want to make sure i give myself enough time once i start.

The intake itself is pretty gravy, Once you get to the repining part of the throttle body wires just take your time!

jjd975

Established Member
You are far more patient than I am, I would already be taking the old stuff off and starting with the new if all that's missing is cai

goat-ee

Established Member
You are far more patient than I am, I would already be taking the old stuff off and starting with the new if all that's missing is cai

Not an option, this is my daily driver. This will NOT be a drag car by any stretch of the imagination. My goal is to make a really quick daily driver, that can double as a DECENT 1/4 miler. It will likely never be a record breaker, unless maybe to be the only guy to run 11's using the same wheels for snow tires and then switching those out for drag radials the minute the snow stops!! But I do think it will be a really nice street car that your average Camaro SS wouldn't want any piece of!!!

Got an update from Revolution Auto this morning. Hopefully to the powder coater by tomorrow and maybe getting to me by late next week? Getting excited.

I can't believe how many other threads there are for this intake being installed right now. Looks like plenty of guinea pigs now going out for slaughter to make the setup work for future owners!! From what I am reading there is still plenty to learn. And it sounds like the automatics in particular have a steep learning curve. Shaun @ AED is the tuner on at least a few of these, so hopefully my car will benefit from that experience. Maybe my car will be part of that as well. Pretty sure i'm the only one dumb enough to think that it will run right without a stall or gear!! So poor Shaun will have to be the brains to make my ignorance work. :pop:

Last edited:

OG_

Established Member
Brain fart but thought I 'd ask anyway:

FRPP CJ + FRPP SCJ TB + TT a good idea?

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Brain fart but thought I 'd ask anyway:

FRPP CJ + FRPP SCJ TB + TT a good idea?

= TT The Twin Turbo Cobra Jet Concept?

Cobra Jet by Ford Racing Performance Parts

http://www.fordracingparts.com/Mustang/Gallery_58.asp

The intake swap takes about 1hr-1.5hrs depending on whether to take a break
Lol

It's super easy swap the hardest part is swapping the pigtail on the throttle body plug to match the conversion harness for the gt500 style throttle body

yes and it breaks easy to and if you do, you are screwed, Ford does not just sell the factory connector, at least to the general public.

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

Isn't Drew's (01bluesnake) work awesome?
I am very impressed with what he has come out with for these cars.

goat-ee

Established Member
Isn't Drew's (01bluesnake) work awesome?
I am very impressed with what he has come out with for these cars.

No question, Drew's port and polish looks perfect on the intake!!

I also want to acknowledge Revolution Auto for their really good communication and customer service. I've had not 1, but 2 calls just today on updates and to make sure I was getting exactly what I want/need on my new CAI!! And the best news of all is that it's at the powder coater and may ship to me tomorrow!! :banana:

Also decided to paint the coil covers Old Ford Blue and highlight the lettering with black. Basically will look like Boss 302 covers, but with the highlighted lettering.

Last edited:

orangastang

Established Member
No question, Drew's port and polish looks perfect on the intake!!

I also want to acknowledge Revolution Auto for their really good communication and customer service. I've had not 1, but 2 calls just today on updates and to make sure I was getting exactly what I want/need on my new CAI!! And the best news of all is that it's at the powder coater and may ship to me tomorrow!! :banana:

Also decided to paint the coil covers Old Ford Blue and highlight the lettering with black. Basically will look like Boss 302 covers, but with the highlighted lettering.

Good deal. What brand of paint did you use on the covers?

goat-ee

Established Member
Good deal. What brand of paint did you use on the covers?

I haven't done them yet. But I ordered Plasti-Kote 205 Old Ford Blue Engine Enamel for the main covers, VHT SP130 Engine Enamel Flat Black for the letters and Rust-Oleum 248944 Automotive 11-Ounce 500 Degree Engine Enamel Spray Paint, Clear to protect the whole thing when done. All from amazon.com

The Nitto NT05 285/40/18 drag radials showed up today. Embarrassing dirty pic of the rear of the car showing the wheels and the new tires. As I keep saying, it's a driver!!

temporary_zpsb7763335.jpg

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
A couple of small updates.

Pulled the coil covers off the car, cleaned them and put them in the super duper clean cycle in the dishwasher and will be applying the "Boss 302" look in the next day or two. The black and clear paint showed up from Amazon and the Old Ford Blue is supposed to show tomorrow.

temporary_zpsbf540a9d.jpg

The Boss 302 manifold installation kit (also for installing the CJ to a GT) from Tasca is here.

dc225483-791b-4ac8-bad8-af1716402adb_zps093663b7.jpg

Adam from Revolution Auto called and said that the CAI came back from powder coating and showed every possible flaw in my requested flat black. They sent it back for wrinkle black finish. So hopefully it will come back ok in that finish, then shipped to me shortly thereafter?

EDIT: Losing my mind, I will lengthen the purge valve wires 40", not the throttle body wiress. (and on my 3 days off). Looks like maybe the bitter cold will be going away here in Kansas City in the next week or so, so then I can get to the strip after my installation is complete. :pop:

Last edited:

trevnut

Established Member
Other than that I think I will go ahead and lengthen the throttle body wires 40" as required while I'm waiting (and on my 3 days off).

You have to extend the throttle body wires 40"??? Dang! That sounds excessive. What is so different about the location of the throttle body that you would have to do that?

The cam covers should look good once done. Good luck on the full build.

Users who are viewing this thread