Cobra Jet intake going on stockish auto 5.0!!

goat-ee

Established Member
^ its been a month, have any updates?
And did I read that your MPG improved?

I can't believe it, but my closest track (Topeka, Kansas) isn't racing until May 30th!! http://www.hpt.com/index.php?option=com_jevents&view=cat&task=cat.listevents&Itemid=255 The next closest track is like 150 miles (Mo-Kan Dragway). I sure miss Kansas City International Raceway...thanks to all the jackasses for getting it shutdown, I really appreciate it. :rolleyes:

The car is ready for some runs and I really thought that I would drive the 150 miles each way to do that, but damn that seems a little crazy to me.

Last edited:

redline5.0

Established Member
I can't believe it, but my closest track (Topeka, Kansas) isn't racing until May 30th!! http://www.hpt.com/index.php?option=com_jevents&view=cat&task=cat.listevents&Itemid=255 The next closest track is like 150 miles (Mo-Kan Dragway). I sure miss Kansas City International Raceway...thanks to all the jackasses for getting it shutdown, I really appreciate it. :rolleyes:

The car is ready for some runs and I really thought that I would drive the 150 miles each way to do that, but damn that seems a little crazy to me.

Actually not true the track will be open on May 17th for an event. Check it out http://www.streetcar-takeover.com/#!schedule/c5up had a lot of fun last year.

goat-ee

Established Member
I'm honestly scared to go. Hell I would have been happy with an 11.99 @ 120ish mph. But with everyone and their brother running low to mid 11's N/A. I can only fail, because I think the expectation with a CJ is a 10.9 to a low 11? I think the car picked up significantly, but with my mods and plenty of past experience, it's NOT a 10 second car.

nordy racer

Established Member
I'm honestly scared to go. Hell I would have been happy with an 11.99 @ 120ish mph. But with everyone and their brother running low to mid 11's N/A. I can only fail, because I think the expectation with a CJ is a 10.9 to a low 11? I think the car picked up significantly, but with my mods and plenty of past experience, it's NOT a 10 second car.

you can DO IT :)

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
My car ran 11.90@121mph out of the gate banging rev limiter before 1-2 and 2-3 shift(in drive) and converter too tight.
Don't let a e/t get you down.
My car gained 29.8mph from 1/8 to 1/4 on all motor!
You will have bugs to sort out for sure to get those low e/t's

I am getting my converter re stalled and we are still sorting out shift points. So i can stop standing on a 8k rpm limiter enforce shifts lol

goat-ee

Established Member
Well I can't believe i'm going to drive 150 miles each way just to race, but assuming the weather cooperates i'm planning on going to Mo-Kan Dragway this Friday 05-02-2014. So with that said i've been a busy boy today getting the car ready. I know I said in a previous post that I wanted to run it without the DSS aluminum driveshaft and then run it again with it installed and see how much difference it would make at the track. But I went ahead and installed it and the BMR driveshaft loop. I will assume that it will give me a .1 and 1mph. I also took the back wheels and the new 285-40-18 Nitto NT-05 drag radials up to be mounted. Other than that I also installed the American Muscle hood strut kit and removed the prop rod. This is a very cool setup, nothing about performance, but it is a nice upgrade to the stock prop rod.

temporary_zpsa870747b.jpg

temporary_zpsb7c19b93.jpg

temporary_zpsb7763335.jpg

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
you are going to love that DSS shaft. I have the same one but in carbon. the cv joint is quality and so is the balance. we did a bong frequency check (yes bong) and checked the balance. both were better than factory tolerances.

Famine

Established Member
Any updates? How did it go?

I'm looking for something like you. I am wondering if the cj intake is worth it for me as I don't know if I will be able to do the bullet oil gears and rev it out. It still makes decent power at the factory limiter right? Driveability still good?

txgrn5.0

I am about to pull the trigger on a CJ set up with the mono blade TB . What I have is a 2014 , alluminator 11.1 with Billet oil gears , long tubes etc... , 4C convertor , and 3.55 gears . the car is a weekend warrior but like to keep the drivability of a daily. The 4C has been the biggest difference at this point . I also have a nitrous outlet plate kit but haven't sprayed the new motor yet. best time on stock intake is 11.7 at 113 mph.
I am planning to have it tuned by Lund after the intake change. Any advice guys ???

goat-ee

Established Member
I did take the car to the strip. It ran 12.1's @ 117.5 mph at OK density altitude (1500ft). Full weight, not even removing jack or spare. However this run was with just the regular street tune. It turned out that the race tune was on the #10 position on my SCT handheld, which at the time was a glitch in the tuner that made the tuner actually install the tune from the number 1 position which was a stock tune. So even though i turned off the traction control, i dont think all of the torque management gets turned off entirely and i know for sure i was missing 3 degrees of timing than it should have. And I didn't even run decent gas due to the issues above.

So with all of the excuses, I really think on 0 foot density day with the race tune and good gas and removing spare tire and jack the car could see easy 11.8 @ 120mph.

SVTStampede

Established Member
Could you tell me if the Monoblade/SCJ intake has any whistle or irritating sounds?

Voltwings

Established Member
Theres a slight "hiss" when getting on it at low rpms. I thought it was actually kinda cool sounding.

SVTStampede

Established Member
Thanks guys, that was my next question, if the twin does it too. Looks like it's not too bad though.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
They say the same about a Boss with removed inlet fins. I've never noticed any noises from mine like that.

Users who are viewing this thread