Cobra Jet Throttle Body Choices

fordman2012

Established Member
Sorry I don’t mean to open this can of worms again if it’s already been opened, but, I have been having troubles finding a definitive answer to my question. I am pretty set on going with the Cobra Jet manifold this winter (I want the Cobra jet over the boss manifold) and will be going with the Rev. Auto 5” intake but I am debating what throttle body to go with. I have heard that there really is very little difference between the stock GT500 twin 60mm throttle body and the twin 67mm and monoblade as far as performance, but there is a rather large price difference between the throttle bodies to the tone of almost three times as much for the twin 67 or monoblade throttle body. I have seen in a couple other threads on different forums citing a JPC study that found only a 5whp difference between the throttle bodies but I have yet to find the study. If anyone could shed some light on this that would be great!

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

jn2

Established Member
Twin 60mm will suffice, if you really want to squeeze out the extra 5-6 ponies go with the twin 65/67...you may even get 10 horses over the twin 60mm to come out and play under the right conditions and weather. Ultimately it is going to be on you whether those 5-10hp is worth the extra $500 for the twin 65/67 over the twin 60mm.

noldevin

Established Member
I would go with either twin 67 or monoblade. Why spend all that money on a cj setup and then choke it down with the smallest tb option?

scotmach

Established Member
I would go with whichever one your tuner prefers. That way there's no excuses on him getting it dialed in.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I don't know the cfm on the twin 60mm. $ 150.00
Twin 65mm flows 1517 cfm. $ 529.97
VMP twin 67mm - ( Flows within 50cfm of the Cobra Jet monoblade ) $ 619.00
Mono-blade 65mm x 147mm flows 1797 cfm. $ 609.99
Ran a twin 65mm on my 11, which was replaced by a mono-blade, the mono delivered 20+ rwhp over the twin 65.
Your end goal for the car dictates your purchases, there is no money in used parts. Having bought parts for the 11, only to replace them later, my current thought process is buy once & done !!

30_day_build_update_pics_05_21_2014_007.jpg

Last edited:

LTD5.0

Established Member
I was just searching for the CFM of the Ford and VMP throttle bodies. I am surprised to see that the VMP is so close to the oval. I will be going with the CFM Performance Cobra Jet kit when the time comes. Too many issues with the monoblade for me.

AKDMB

Established Member

That's a great thread.

Here's some more info too. I don't know if anyone else can confirm this, but Revan Racing claimed that they had issues with Monoblades made prior to February 2014, and said to try to get one manufactured after that date.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...to-a-Super-cobra-jet-mono-blade-throttle-body

fordman2012

Established Member
Has anyone used a BBK twin 65mm throttle body on the cobra jet manifold? I know that I would need the electronics from the GT500 twin 60mm but I have a Shelby friend who gave me his so if that is an option then I may go in that direction.

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
I have also heard of people running the big Whipple Monoblade? I have seen one picture of it installed. I would go that route unless that is too much TB.

jn2

Established Member
Has anyone used a BBK twin 65mm throttle body on the cobra jet manifold? I know that I would need the electronics from the GT500 twin 60mm but I have a Shelby friend who gave me his so if that is an option then I may go in that direction.

I planned on swapping over to the twin 65 one day, I already have the twin 60mm so swapping the electronics over would be easy, it's just not a high priority for me right now, but it can be done and it will work, just making sure you update your tune for the twin 65

Users who are viewing this thread