Cobra leaking oil?

Crazy03

Established Member
The past two times I have changed my oil, there is a build up of oil on the last 4 bolts that connect the oil pan to the engine block. (no oil on the front bolts) I cleaned them off and the next time I went to change the oil they had oil on them again. I checked to see if these bolts were loose and they are not. The oil level doesnt really change between oil changes, so I dont know where it is coming from. Does anyone have a clue where it could be coming from. The oil also is built up on the bottom of the tranny and Xpipe but I think that from when I get on it, it spreads from the oil pan. Can it be leaking from the motor? I was going to take it in for warranty but I have longtubes and really dont want to take them off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
they have this floresent dye put in your oil then hold black light up to see where it really is comming from when the motor is running just hang tight and wait with the light.

works great on cars with lots of oil and crud also so u dont have to do bunch of cleaning.

Crazy03

Established Member
I dont think it leaks that fast but I'll try it. Where can I buy the stuff.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Good auto parts store. It doesnt have to leak allot thats the point of the floresent just a small amout will shine up. good luck

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Just a thought - Could it just be the oil that dripped out all over everything while draining, blowing back during driving? I'd wipe everything off real good and keep an eye on it.

michael5000

Established Member
i had a very slow oil leak, turned out to be the front cover gasket. it didnt leak on the ground at all and the oil level never dropped but the dealer said it was a slow leak and they had to put a new front cover gasket on.

im not sure where the front cover gasket is, so i dont know if the area you described could be it. the reason why mine was leaking was from when they did the head swap for the tick, the gasket they used on the front cover was bad or something.

hope this helps.

Crazy03

Established Member
I never see any oil on the ground and the oil level doen't drop so its not to bad but I would like to get it fixed. Can it leak through the input shaft or not.It is coming from the back of the motor or oil pan somewhere?
Thanks for the replies.

DOHC 32valve

I just recently bought a new 03 cobra and just reached 500 miles this saturday so I decided to change the oil and low an behold the underside of the car is covered in oil from the xbrace to the hpipe so i looked around and could not really tell where it was coming from I know it was not the oil filter almost looks like where the sending unit is for the oil pressure sensor...so after changing the oil I wiped the whole underside clean well checked again tonight and it has oil all on the bottom of the car once again however the oil level seems to be exactly the same after I changed it...taking to the dealership tomorrow......Any idea????

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I would also check the rocker arm cover bolts to make sure they are tight. The oil could be running down the back of the motor. Check on the back of the motor, below the covers, and see if there are any traces of oil present.

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread