Cobra Life Expectancy

dkbmxr18

SVT DRIVER!
Established Member
Hello all, I just wondering how many miles people are getting out of there cobras before any major problems. My 94gt had 140k Miles when I sold it and it was still running strong (2 years ago) I still see it cruising around once and a while going strong. Do cobras have the same reliability as the 5.0? Just wondering :shrug:
Thanks in advance!

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
79K and still running strong. No realy oil usage. Just maybe half a quart every 4000.

I don't think I'll have any problems breaking 100K if I can resist the juice.

hatsharpener

Established Member
I've seen the inside of a few taxi crown vics after 250k+ and they still looked great. You'll probably run into the usual odds and ends go wrong with the car, but you shouldn't run into any problems [motor-wise] if you keep up your regularly scheduled maintence for the motor. I had 105k on my 98 when I sold it just after 3 years and it was still running strong.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I know different driving conditions, and different consumers but I have seen several Mark VIII's with 200-250k on the clock and they ran and sounded fine.

fedge

109k here, runs strong, it doesn't use oil and no oil leaks, too bad i can't say the same for the ws6 I had before this, I sold it with 77k and had a rear main seal that was bad, i've had way too many problems with f bodys to ever go back to them.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
129K here, 86K on the motor, runs stronger than ever (first motor was f'ed from the factory), no leaks, doesn't burn oil, just regular maintenance items, and couple minor parts replaced....

snake bite 03

well i only have 30,000 on mine i hope i dont run into any major problems. but i have a warranty untill 75,000 so im in the clear for a wile.

cobraracer46

Banned
Besides keeping up on the maintnence,driving habits and ceretin modifications have a lot to do wth how long a Cobra will last. If you spin the motor real high and drive the car like a Gorrilla before it has a chance to warm up you will dramatically increase wear. using your Cobra for a lot short trips of less than 5 miles and allowing it to idle for an exsessive amount of time will also increase wear because the car never has a chance to warm up. Power shifting and burn outs are very hard on a car and will decrease life expectancy. Avoiding pot hols or other road iregularities will also help a car last longer. Doing foolish modifications like adding breathers and deleting the PCV system will contaminate the engine oil and reduce life expextancy while adding mods like a bigger radiator, adding engine oil and power steering coolers will increase life expectancy on a Cobra that sees a lot of open track events.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Doing foolish modifications like adding breathers and deleting the PCV system will contaminate the engine oil and reduce life expextancy...
:lol:
You always find a way....

Add a Canton Racing 7qt oil pan, stick to 3k mile oil changes - Amsoil 5w-30, fuel filter every 24K, PCV - 24K, O2 sensors - 50K, custom chip, full exhaust + don't drive the car like an asshole and you just might see 175,000 miles. Or your motor can go to shit like mine at 50K.

Users who are viewing this thread