Cobra overheated on me today..

wh1plsh

Established Member
I noticed my fan wasnt turning on and i looked down while in traffic and it wasnt quite to the red part of the guage but did reach the h, I continued to turn the car off at every traffic light to avoid idle, had the heat blasting. once I got up to speed and the radiator got air it was back to almost normal. I noticed while it was running hot it missed a few times upon acceleration. It did overflow from the tank just once. Im in the coast guard and stationed in philly (no access to my tools). Took it in to the ford dealership and they said I needed a new fan and ccrm. When i got home I started thinkin i hope i havent warped the head, so with the car fully cooled down, I start it back up, no smoke, coolant level normal, idles fine, clean oil, exhaust smells normal. Did I get lucky and evade warping the head based on those facts or is there not quite enough info to determine whether its warped. I know the things I can do to guarantee like compression test and coolant pressure test, but i wont be able to sleep tonight not knowing that everythings straight. any help would be greatly appreciated- Jake

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I noticed my fan wasnt turning on and i looked down while in traffic and it wasnt quite to the red part of the guage but did reach the h, I continued to turn the car off at every traffic light to avoid idle, had the heat blasting. once I got up to speed and the radiator got air it was back to almost normal. I noticed while it was running hot it missed a few times upon acceleration. It did overflow from the tank just once. Im in the coast guard and stationed in philly (no access to my tools). Took it in to the ford dealership and they said I needed a new fan and ccrm. When i got home I started thinkin i hope i havent warped the head, so with the car fully cooled down, I start it back up, no smoke, coolant level normal, idles fine, clean oil, exhaust smells normal. Did I get lucky and evade warping the head based on those facts or is there not quite enough info to determine whether its warped. I know the things I can do to guarantee like compression test and coolant pressure test, but i wont be able to sleep tonight not knowing that everythings straight. any help would be greatly appreciated- Jake

The heater on trick saved your bacon!:rockon::beer:
It wasn't luck, you were smart.:thumbsup:

I think you should sleep tonight and if you still feel the need do additional testing, do it later on as time allows.

wh1plsh

Established Member
The heater on trick saved your bacon!:rockon::beer:
It wasn't luck, you were smart.:thumbsup:

I think you should sleep tonight and if you still feel the need do additional testing, do it later on as time allows.

thanks a lot man I really appreciate it :beer:

Blueline

Established Member
I agree, the heater on blast def. helped you. If you warped the head, you MAY see coolant mixed in your motor oil, very tiny seepage b/n block and head (while looking fron under the car), white smoke or your plugs will indicate coolant being burned in the cylinder. Just keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary in those areas and go from there. Good luck bud!

Users who are viewing this thread