Cobra R Brake Install

levs302

Established Member
well, after 3 weeks on back order :mj: , my brake kit finally arrived. I just installed it this moring :D . After the brakes were in place, i put my wheels (17x9 Cobra R's) back on and noticed the clearence between the caliper and the spokes is extremely small (about a 2mm) :cuss: . Is this normal? i dont want to scrape-up my brand new calipers. is there a spacer remommended to solve this? The front wheels are already an inch wider than stock, idk how wide i can go without scrubing the wheels around corners.

levs302

Established Member
here are the new brakes:
brake2gr2.jpg

here's the clearence issue i'm concerned about. the tip of my finger is touching the caliper. should i be worried about this? or is this normal?:
brake62lg3.jpg

brake52lp5.jpg

the brakes tucked tightly behind the wheels:
brake32hy8.jpg

levs302

Established Member
sry, my first time posting pics.

once again, here's what i'm concerned with. the tip of my finger is against the caliper:
brake62ew9.jpg

brake52rz4.jpg

levs302

Established Member
thanks for the reassurance. i drove it without any clearnace issues. although, the brake pedal is a lot harder than it was before. i blead the brakes starting w/ the furthest wheel from teh master cylinder. but i thought a half-a$$ bleeding usually results in a spongy pedal, not a firm one. the pedal barely moves at all, and i have to push it pretty damn hard. although the car does stop well. was there any prep i should have done to the calipers before install? i just took em out a the box and slapped em on. or is this just how four piston calipers are supposed to feel compared to stock?

thanks

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
you have to have the stainless lines with the Cobra R kit. the fitting on the caliper do not work with the stock lines. they send the stainless lines with the kits.

mine feels like im standing on bricks too. i put on speedbleeders and that made the install a lot better.

levs302

Established Member
yes, i did put on stainless lines. i still feel a little funny at stop lights w/ my left foot to the floor and my right foot way up high on the brake pedal, and theres a lot more brake dust than with the stock pads/rotors...but the car stops on a dime, so i'm happy

Users who are viewing this thread