Cobra road kill, by Ford?

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I just got the February 2005 Hot Rod magazine, the one with a green over black Pro-Street Challenger on the cover. On page 26 there's an article called SVT LIGHTNING GETS CANNED. Apparently the L is dead due to a business decision, but the author also says that there's a rumor that the death of the L might also signal the demise of the Cobra, since the two were supposed to share many engine components.

Time to start writing Ford.

YellowSnake98

I'm so bored....
Established Member
Somehow, i don't believe the Cobra is going away. I love how the media tries to get stuff started. These are rumors, and untill we get official word from Ford itself, i'm not going to believe anything any magazine says. I mean why would Ford get rid of the Cobra anyway? Tnen they wouldn't have anything to compete with the new Vettes and Vipers and the Camaro that is "rumored" to be coming out. Yall can start writing FOrd if you want to and I will be more than happy to sign an petitions that are started because i don't want to see either one of them go away, but for now i just can't believe that the Cobra will go away.

Codes

ROLL PRINCE ROLL!!!!
Established Member
People couldnt believe the lightening was going to go away either, they now only have one car in the works that we know of. In this day and age I am not sure if one car justifies the money and time that Ford puts into SVT. I think Ford will have something to compete with the other sports cars that are coming out, whether it will be from SVT or not...I am not really sure. And this should probably be moved to the 05 mustang/07 Cobra forum.

SVTHarry

Banned
Somehow, i don't believe the Cobra is going away. I love how the media tries to get stuff started. These are rumors, and untill we get official word from Ford itself, i'm not going to believe anything any magazine says. I mean why would Ford get rid of the Cobra anyway? Tnen they wouldn't have anything to compete with the new Vettes and Vipers and the Camaro that is "rumored" to be coming out. Yall can start writing FOrd if you want to and I will be more than happy to sign an petitions that are started because i don't want to see either one of them go away, but for now i just can't believe that the Cobra will go away.

I am with this guy ^ :thumbsup:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
"While Ford has announced that development of the next-generation SVT F-150 Lightning has been delayed until its high-performance engineers can create a new version that fits into Ford's manufacturing and marketing cadence, there can be no doubt that the F-150 Lightning is a viable SVT product with a future full of possibilities."

the above cut and pasted from www.svt.ford.com and in it's newsroom.. take it as you may..

03CobraBro

Established Member
From what I'v read part of the reason the L was dropped had to do with the ammount of money they had to spend on trying to get the vehicle to perform where they wanted it with its excessive weight. Got to the point where they'ed be losing money on the trucks for the price/performance range they wanted to keep it in.

The L's decomission wont effect the Cobra at all.

I actually always thought the idea of a full sized "sport truck" was kind of contradictive anyway. Seemed more like it belonged to the compact/mid sized pickup's.

How can you be sitting behind the wheel of a 5200lbs SRT-10 Ram (let alone the quad cab version) and say you have a "Sport Truck"? They're great in the straight line but when it comes down to the slalom even my lowly 5.9 R/T will run circles around it which atleast in the car realm I had always been lead to beleive and equal ammount of power AND handling defined a sports car.

Last edited:

Big_Torch

Banned
I think *hope* SVT will be using all of its resources on the 06/07 cobra, whole new platform means a lot more work.

:beer:

AzDropTop

Established Member
Our Local SVTOA rep was just saying a couple of weeks ago that Ford was actually trying to push the Cobra to production more quickly? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Whether or not the loss of the L affects the Cobra will be known in the future, but I have to say that it does make some sense that one affects the other. If it's true that they were supposed to share many drivetrain components, that means that R&D for that drivetrain will have to be recouped with one vehicle, instead of two. Again, assuming that the sharing of components is true, from a bean counter perspective, killing the Cobra would make sense. It's not like it's sold a ton of vehicles.

Remember that the bean counters killed the Camaro. Whether you *believe* that the L death affects the Cobra, I urge you to write Ford. Yes, I'm in the "enemy" camp, but I think that higher Hp cars are good for all car enthusiasts, regardless of who makes the car. I *want* direct competition for the Vette -- it will push Chevy :)

SVT_driv3r

Established Member
if the lightning goes bye bye... so does my business when i saw the concept all i do day and night is just sit here and count the days till im behind the wheel and its parked in my driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread