Cobra rollbar/cage with an infant seat - no, I am not kidding.

Cobra Kai Dojo

Finish him!
Established Member
i think this is one hell of a first post. :rockon: don't you think? haha.

i am looking for any convertible cobra owners with a rollbar/cage (not cdc light bar) that may have utilized an infant/child seat in the back. i've been looking at several photos on the forum and trying to determine whether 1) it's even possible 2) it's safe.

no, the seat won't be a permanent fixture. no, the cobra is not a DD. i am just trying to prepare all angles. hell, i don't even have a kid haha. i was originally looking at coupes only. but i couldnt pass this one up due to its mileage, condition, and mods (lack of).

sorry for the off-the-wall first post but it's important for my cobra ownership haha. :burnout:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
i think this is one hell of a first post. :rockon: don't you think? haha.

i am looking for any convertible cobra owners with a rollbar/cage (not cdc light bar) that may have utilized an infant/child seat in the back. i've been looking at several photos on the forum and trying to determine whether 1) it's even possible 2) it's safe.

no, the seat won't be a permanent fixture. no, the cobra is not a DD. i am just trying to prepare all angles. hell, i don't even have a kid haha. i was originally looking at coupes only. but i couldnt pass this one up due to its mileage, condition, and mods (lack of).

sorry for the off-the-wall first post but it's important for my cobra ownership haha. :burnout:

When operating a car on the street with any cage or roll bar, you will want to make sure that when hit by another vehicle(or in any type of accident), it is completely impossible for a human head without a helmet to ever come in contact with any part of that roll bar. Padded or not.

Check the head flop potential from ALL DIRECTIONS, and the distance the head can move. Then also allow for a certain amount of chassis compression too.

The padding is to protect the head that is wearing a helmet. Without a helmet any contact with that bar is likely to produce a severe brain injury and/or death.

Basically I think you will find that the un-helmeted kids and adults are no longer going to be able to get rides back there.

I have a coupe with a 4 point AutoPower bolt in bar and my grand daughters can no longer ride back there. When they get big enough for the front seat they can get rides again, but until then it's groceries, jackets car parts, ETC, and that's it.

Last edited:

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Here is a pic of mine. I have a 2 year old. The car seat fits just fine. My roll bar is custom made and the rear bars go through the top of the interior panels and not down by the seat. My bar is also fully padded. In the event of a collision, her seat sits far enough away that none of her will come in contact with the bar.
102_0613.jpg

cbr repsol

Established Member
I dont see a big deal in doing it,however the kid will eventually grow and i say :nonono: on having them back there with a cage. If u must put them back there and u have a roll cage,seriously get another car. I put my 2 1/2 year old and 7 month old in the back with child seats only for car shows...other than that they dont ride in the back. We have a mazda 5 for family transportation.

Cobra Kai Dojo

Finish him!
Established Member
no, the seat won't be a permanent fixture. no, the cobra is not a DD....hell, i don't even have a kid haha

yea, the point of this post was for me to prepare all angles. i doubt i will have a kid in the back - with or without a cage. maybe once a year haha. like you, i also have a car that's more family friendly :)

SLPRCTM

Established Member
yea, the point of this post was for me to prepare all angles. i doubt i will have a kid in the back - with or without a cage. maybe once a year haha. like you, i also have a car that's more family friendly :)

Me too on the kiddy car. We have an Expedtion for her. She only rides in the Cobra for shows and Sunday drives.

Users who are viewing this thread