Cobra stuck in gear. Help!

SoBlue4.6

Established Member
So last night as I was driving home I went to shift and I felt it get stuck as I was going into 4th gear. I let go of the shifter and let it fall into neutral, then I pressed the clutch back in and put it into 4th gear, but I felt somewhat of a notch while going into 4th. Cruising home, I made 3 or 4 shifts from 3rd to 4th just fine, except the notchy feeling was still there. Just as I pulled into my apt, the car got stuck in 4th gear, I can move it up, but not quite into neutral.

I never heard any noises, the only sign was the "notchiness" from 3rd to 4th. I just let it set overnight, and still the same problem this morning. Clutch is working fine and no fluids have leaked at all. Driving it to a tranny shop will be almost impossible with only 4th gear working(no reverse, and taking off from a dead stop in 4th is pretty sketchy) I would rather them not have to tow it, if that is avoidable.

Could this be a shift fork or bad synchros? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
When mine got stuck in 4th it had broken the keys and at that point I think you are out of luck. I had it towed home and pulled the transmission out to have it built at that point. I broke it at the track and the guys at the shop that built it said that the keys broke when I went into third, but didn't "fall out" until I hit 4th. Wouldn't come out of 4th after that. If you were planning on building your transmission, now would be a good time to do it.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
What does it run to rebuild one of these perhaps a few upgrade $ but not bullet proof status.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Mine was $1800, but I took it to and from the shop. That was to get it to hold up to 550rwhp while abusing it. Not sure what the prices of other shops are. You will spend some money on it, but it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread