Cobra T56 bellhousing on a GM/Chevy T56?

Latvik

Established Member
Anyone know if it's possible? I know all the other details of what needs to be done using a Chevy t56, thanks for any info.

AMP-D

Established Member
The GM unit uses an internal slave cylinder design, has no provision for the clutch fork pivot ball and the input shaft is too long .

71catruck

Established Member
The one for the ls1 does but the lt1 has a slave cylinder. I think if you change the input shaft, front bearing plate and bell housing you can do it.

Latvik

Established Member
thanks all for the input, I have looked into this for a while, as I'm in no rush and most cobra t56's are not cheap and there is an abundant supply of LS1 T56's for $1000 or less. I'm doing a coyote swap and planned on a t56 to handle it, my research has shown I need an input shaft (most say the 10 spline is meh anyway), different driveshaft yoke, cross member, bellhousing, midplate, and a way to deal with the hydraulic clutch which I plan to change to anyway. Also redoing the wires for the reverse lockout and a couple minor things I cant recall.

Anyway, I found a t56 Service Manual at http://www.ls1.com/forums/f65/t56-service-manual-107802/ and as far as I can tell the bolt patterns for the bellhousing's to the trans body are the same. I came across someone selling a cobra t56 bellhousing for a nice price so it seems now it's worth it. Thanks again for the responses.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread