cobra vs. STi

culmination

Established Member
hello first of all i am an STi owner and i would like to give props to the 03 cobra.

i was going around 40mph when a black 03 cobra was riding on my ass. i assumed it was stock and since we were going 40 i knew i was at a disadvantage. suddenly he comes up to my driver's side wanting to race from a roll... so i just dropped my gear and punched through my gears.. sad to say, by the time i hit 3rd gear, that cobra passed me like i was on standstill. whew~~~ we both pulled over and i asked him what he got under the hood... he said he had all the bolt-ons with higher boost setting. i felt much better about my loss after hearing that from him because im all stock.

anyways what kinda numbers do cobra put down with those kinda modification?

and there was this other time when i was surrounded by 3 late model cobras wanting to smoke my ass~ hahaha just wait guys and give me sometime to mod my car~ we'll have fun after that~ :)

Last edited:

Ryan.K.

VOLENS ET POTENS
Established Member
First off mad props to the sti's, raced one when I first got my cobra he was stock and I was stock. i beat by him by a car, but he rode my ass the rest off the way. Anyways look in my sig and those are numbers with basic bolt ons, except for TB, MAF upgrade, Plugs.

--Ryan

Ryan.K.

VOLENS ET POTENS
Established Member
that's about 1,500.00 hundred in parts, and about 1,100.00 in installation and tune. if you look at my dyno vid in my sig it will show you agraph, cobra's have amazing power.
I have drove an sti, cause my mom has one and she's always bombing around in it.

culmination

Established Member
your mom drives the STi?? haha cool mom you have ~~

wow just couple of grand in parts and installation~ that is really impressive~ with the same amount of money the STi would gain about 60~70whp. but that is good enough to run mid 12s depending on boost level and octane. still... the top end is not that great compared to bigger displacement engines.

team23jordan

Subaru Legacy GT
Established Member
THAT'S TIGHT
COBRA AND STI
and i wouldn't ask for more if i had those 2...it'll be tight to have lightning as well

culmination

Established Member
Originally posted by team23jordan
THAT'S TIGHT
COBRA AND STI
and i wouldn't ask for more if i had those 2...it'll be tight to have lightning as well

btw, in my g35 i got smoked by the lightening.... hahha dope ass trucks~ i seriously wouldn't mind having one. hahaha

errray's 03 svt

Established Member
you go only have fun with the a modified cobra from the dig...forget about a roll...i raced my friends modded sti hella times...he gets an automatic two car lengths from a dig(he launches the thing at 6000 rpm) but i reel him in when i hit third and walk him...from a roll i win everytime...

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
i love the STI'S :thumbsup: , the cobra's can put some serious #'s down with the right mod's depending on whats done. also the sti's can be very mean also, so congrats on the run :thumbsup:

mx_9

Established Member
Originally posted by culmination
hello first of all i am an STi owner and i would like to give props to the 03 cobra.

i was going around 40mph when a black 03 cobra was riding on my ass. i assumed it was stock and since we were going 40 i knew i was at a disadvantage. suddenly he comes up to my driver's side wanting to race from a roll... so i just dropped my gear and punched through my gears.. sad to say, by the time i hit 3rd gear, that cobra passed me like i was on standstill. whew~~~ we both pulled over and i asked him what he got under the hood... he said he had all the bolt-ons with higher boost setting. i felt much better about my loss after hearing that from him because im all stock.

and there was this other time when i was surrounded by 3 late model cobras wanting to smoke my ass~ hahaha just wait guys and give me sometime to mod my car~ we'll have fun after that~ :)

From what I've heard from STi owners with race experience, from low mph to 80 it's a close race. From 80 on the Cobra is in a different race all together.

SSlayer96

Wheeeeeee!!
Established Member
Have to admit I do like some STI's. I remember I use to always play catch up with them damn cars when I only had my 2.8 on. By the nice death:beer:

Cal

Established Member
I just think its funny that his daily driver has more power than his actual racer lol.

I like the STi's alot. I'd probably remove the wing though (I like the clean look on them). My dad test drove one and the only reason why he didnt buy one was because of the ride quality for puttering around town.

mx_9

Established Member
Cal,

The ride quality is not that bad. I say this with my previous two car purchases being Volvos with decent rides. If the dealer over inflated the tires it would produce a harsh ride. The stock RE070's have a very stiff sidewall but overall the car is a great daily driver.

Ballistik8

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Sti guys,
without going to a bigger turbo setup, what are some of the better numbers that the sti is putting down..downpipe, etc..?

1 BLOWN V8

Established Member
Originally posted by culmination

It would take some big $ to give a cobra a run on the mid to high end. But what is awsome about the STI is it can beat most cars and is a blast to drive. Also, out of all the cars I have owned the STI gets the most attention and thumbs up, Young and old.
Best part is that honda's with the big fart cans love to rev at me.
As for the spoiler it grows on you and best of all it gives something for the honda's to look at when they are behind me. LOL

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Cobra's with the usual bolt-ons probably put down between 450 and 500 hp and tq, depending on what bolts ons are used. A shop by my house actually sells a package that for $1200 installed that will get you over 450 hp and tq. After that the mods aren't quite as cheap for the horsepower.

And it's always nice to see somebody lose and give credit where credit is due. Shows you're a good sport, and you are more than welcome on this site.

Big turkey

Established Member
Re: Re: cobra vs. STi

Originally posted by 1 BLOWN V8
It would take some big $ to give a cobra a run on the mid to high end. But what is awsome about the STI is it can beat most cars and is a blast to drive. Also, out of all the cars I have owned the STI gets the most attention and thumbs up, Young and old.
Best part is that honda's with the big fart cans love to rev at me.
As for the spoiler it grows on you and best of all it gives something for the honda's to look at when they are behind me. LOL

Not really on the big money part. Depending on the Cobra, if the cobra just had usual bolt ons without the pulley and chip, it would be a close race.

Stock STi's dyno around 230-250whp on a Dynojet. Downpipe, catback and some sort of EM, preferably UTEC will yield you over 300whp. Usually around 300-310, the highest I've seen being 317whp, 308trq.

This will give you peak torque at a little under 3000RPMs with a hard drop off but a very nice HP curve to carry you to redline. Best time I've seen on this setup is 12.4 @ 111mph on the STi.

Now with a pulley and chip on the Cobra, the STi is going to need a turbo upgrade. With about $3k invested the STi is an 11second car if tuned right, and with a good driver. Alot of STi owners cannot drive the car, and that hurts them big time due to the very short gears. First doesn't get you past the 60', and you need to make two gear changes before reaching 60mph. Very short.

With about $6k invested, there is a kit by Ultimate Racing that utilizes the dual ball bearing GT35R turbo.. that is the best kit ever. Right now they are at 514whp on the stock block, C16 fuel, running 11.24 @ 128mph. That's movin'.

Sorry I had to give my spiel on the STi because I'm a previous WRX owner and was going to trade my car in for a STi and slap the rest of my stuff on there and start over.. but decided to move on up in the world :)

culmination

Established Member
Originally posted by 03gobluecobra
And it's always nice to see somebody lose and give credit where credit is due. Shows you're a good sport, and you are more than welcome on this site.

hahah thanks~ when i loose i admit~ simple as that. but it seems like people in the SRT-4 and the 350z forum are having a hard time doing that. srt-4 gives lame ass excuses like.. "at least our car is 10k cheaper" while the 350z owners say, "at least we got leather."

Last edited:

Ballistik8

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks big turkey, I know what you're talkin about in the short gearing though, ive watched friends drive theirs...it doesnt exactly come to me as appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread