Cobra was sputtering at WOT, found this ...*pic*

Anabolic

Banned
+1. As a retired Ford Master Tech I would like to add you could also spray the threads with WD-40 prior to installing the plugs. To clarify, spray the plug threads-not the head threads.

how well does the wd40 work? i was woundering because Even after around 3k miles of driving, the syn. grease is still there.. yeah it looks like wax/monkey poo paste but it's still there, it's nice to know alternatives when you don't have one/other ect.

big dad

Established Member
Use to do it all the time on customers cars and my own. Never had a problem.

It's better than installing the plugs with dry threads, and it helps with ease of installation.

shelbygt

Established Member
So I did a compression test on the motor and found this: :nonono:
(4)-175 (8)-182
(3)-182 (7)-170
(2)-180 (6)-125
(1)-185 (5)-137

Ironically, the "broken spark plug" cylinder that I was doing the test for has 182 psi.
So I guess I will be getting intimate with the Cobra 4.6 bottom end very soon.
In the video, you can make out something at the top of the piston on both of the low compression cylinders. The borescope I got sucks (sending it back) and I couldn't get decent images of the cylinder.
03 Cobra cylinder - YouTube

It is crazy, because the car runs fine and had I not done this test, I would have had no idea that the motor was having issues. I guess I knew when I bought the car that most Terminators have needed engine rebuilds and this one might as well, but it still sucks as I have only had the car for 2 weeks or so.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Sorry to hear dude but I was pretty sure this is where this was heading. Canned tunes will get you on these cars. Damage prob done by previous owner(s). Best deal going and quick fix is the Ford remanned long block for at of around 3k

RedfireSVT

Established Member
yea thats bad detonation which is what kills pistons. everyone has pretty much covered it but the simple answer is this:

get new plugs and no more getting into the boost until you get it on a dyno.

hopefully, everything is still ok in there.

the_moo

Established Member
yea thats bad detonation which is what kills pistons. everyone has pretty much covered it but the simple answer is this:

get new plugs and no more getting into the boost until you get it on a dyno.

hopefully, everything is still ok in there.

Ughhhh obviously it's not.

Sorry to hear OP

shelbygt

Established Member
Leakdown test to determine why 5 and 6 are losing pressure. May not be the rings. Hopefully it's not the rings...

I am pretty sure it's the rings. Once I put 2 tablespoons of oil in those low cylinders, both shot up to 185psi.

I am holding off on taking the motor out and dissembling it, as I don't want to pull it all apart and then not have the funds to either rebuild it or replace it and I need a daily driver.
I am putting my 69 GT350 up for sale in the next week or 2 so I will have plenty of cash to throw at the car then. I read that someone on here had lower psi than mine in the number 5 cylinder and he beat the crap out of it for over a year with no issues. So I am sure if I baby the car, it will last me a month or so of easy driving. If it blows up, I still have to pull it all apart and rebuild it or replace it. There is no drive-ability with the car now, so I think it will be good.

shelbygt

Established Member
What is this Ford re-manufactured long block I keep hearing about?
Can someone give me more details or have a link?

shelbygt

Established Member
Are you looking to have the engine built or are you wanting to keep things stock?

Nothing radical, just the usual stuff. I want to keep it drivable but have the balls to throw down when need be. If it is more cost effective to rebuild vs re-manufatured, I'll go that route. The Ford reman sounds great though. These would have the updated heads?

Users who are viewing this thread