Cobra's think they're so fast

Poison_S

Established Member
Poisonous Focus

That is sick and I mean sick!....but I love it.
:D

Leave it to Ford tuners to yield a car that has a better power to weight ratio than some exotic cars, at a fraction of their cost.

Give us all-wheel-drive with that car, and I think you'll really be on to something.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
All I have to say is this.
I have been driving a Ford Focus for the past two days while my car is in the shop....

Their is not a chance in HELL that I would drive something built like the Focus is with the HP of the Cobra....I honestly felt safer in the Saturn I had to rent then this POS.

I probably would cost $50K to make the thing handle the power....and not feel like a good wind is going to blow you off the road.

bongofish

Established Member
Originally posted by Bizarro
All I have to say is this.
I have been driving a Ford Focus for the past two days while my car is in the shop....

Their is not a chance in HELL that I would drive something built like the Focus is with the HP of the Cobra....I honestly felt safer in the Saturn I had to rent then this POS.

I probably would cost $50K to make the thing handle the power....and not feel like a good wind is going to blow you off the road.

Hmm... interesting observation. Especially considering that, excluding the DEW chasis, the Focus chasis is the best and most advanced that Ford builds. I have never driven a base model Focus, so maybe it does feel cheap, but I traded in an 01 GT to get an SVT Focus... mainly because the chasis in the GT was crap. I could watch the dashboard in the GT bend going over bumps... the SVTF is MUCH more solid. I mean, how can a RWD V8 understeer more than a FWD econo-rocket? I dunno, but Ford can do it.

If that thing could get traction it would ALWAYS be faster than an equivalently modded 03 Cobra (not to mention handle better and stop faster)... it weighs almost 1000 lbs less. That's a huge difference... power to weight is the name of the game.

I think the big question is... is it worth the price?

rpwsrw

Established Member
that is amazing!!

quick question, why would you say, "What a waste of a motor"?

if you knew anything about Ford you would know that the Focus is Ford's most technologically advanced chasis and suspension. I've owned 2 00 Mustangs, driven countless Cobras (including 03), and my SVT Focus handles far supreme to those mustangs. But once there is a straight away i don't stand a chance. My opinion is that if you had the power of a Cobra in a Focus's chasis, HOLD ME BACK!!!

later,
robb

Black03COBRA

Hey, whatever pops your bubble, but in my opinion, that's a waste of a perfectly good Cobra motor!!!

Couldnt agree more..but would like to drive it! haha. well i think that that Focus is for people who have enough money to throw away on literally, a toy.

Nice work though!:eek:

bongofish

Established Member
Originally posted by Black0Three
"Hey, whatever pops your bubble, but in my opinion, that's a waste of a perfectly good Cobra motor!!! "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldnt agree more..but would like to drive it! haha. well i think that that Focus is for people who have enough money to throw away on literally, a toy.

:rolleyes:

Heh... in my opinion a 1970 Fairmont chasis and 3800lb curb weight is the way to waste a good motor. Call me crazy, but I'd rather have a modern chasis and 1000 less lbs to tug around. I guess that performance means more to me though.

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
It is an impressive statement of the engineering that goes into making this conversion work, but not my preference.

Kindo of reminds me of the guys that were stuffing blown big blocks into Pintos and Gremlins.

-norcal_cobra

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
definatly cool. I would love to have it, but if I had to chose I'd still take my Cobra.

btw, my sister has a normal non-svt focus and it is a great little car. Only complaint is that it is a slug... kinda dangerous since it takes a moment from the time you press on the gass to the time you actually move anywhere.

With the cobra engine that obviously isn't a problem... car is still too small though for me to want to drive it vs. the cobra.

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Originally posted by rpwsrw
that is amazing!!

quick question, why would you say, "What a waste of a motor"?

if you knew anything about Ford you would know that the Focus is Ford's most technologically advanced chasis and suspension. I've owned 2 00 Mustangs, driven countless Cobras (including 03), and my SVT Focus handles far supreme to those mustangs. But once there is a straight away i don't stand a chance. My opinion is that if you had the power of a Cobra in a Focus's chasis, HOLD ME BACK!!!

later,
robb

Actually I do know a little about Ford, but it's just my opinion... I'm not a big fan of the Focus... not that it's a bad car, or that I knock people who own it (my best friend has one) or whatever - I just don't like the car... much in the same way that I don't like the Dodge Intrepid, but I do like the Chevy Cavalier... it's just a personal preference.

So, to reiterate my statement... in my OPINION, that's a waste of a good Cobra motor!

:beer:

dmreitz

Established Member
Originally posted by Black0Three

Oh, I'd love get behind the wheel, just to see what an "economy" car with a musclecar motor feels like... and I'm sure it would walk all over the Cobra in the 1/4...

But I still cringe when I think of that beautiful motor in that nasty car... EEEEWWWW!!!

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are just that - opinions. They are personal preferences and in no way shape or form reflect the views of the management and in many cases will not reflect the actual facts. No purchase necessary, void where prohibited.

bongofish

Established Member
Originally posted by ygohome
With the cobra engine that obviously isn't a problem... car is still too small though for me to want to drive it vs. the cobra.

Why is small bad? It has more interior room, front and back, than the Mustang/Cobra.

If you just didn't like the way it looks, I could understand... but less weight is always good for performance. If the 03 Cobra weighed less than 3000lbs it would be a performance giant. Probably would be in the 11's stock... how would that be bad?

DiamondWraith

I don't know about anyone else... but I don't wanna be in an econo box.... I want a big heavy assed car with gobs and gobs of power that looks tight as hell.

-DW

bongofish

Established Member
Originally posted by DiamondWraith
I don't know about anyone else... but I don't wanna be in an econo box.... I want a big heavy assed car with gobs and gobs of power that looks tight as hell.

-DW

Then why are you in a V6 coupe? :rolling:

Heavy cars have disadvantages in handling, braking and acceleration... basically in every single parameter used to measure performance.

"Tight" looking is subjective and can't be argued, but the Cobra doesn't really look any different than your V6.

Why don't you just buy an SUV? They are certainly big and heavy.

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Imagine going to a rice meet in that focus with not ONE sticker and no fart can and coming home with a fistful of cash!:idea:

dmreitz

Established Member
Originally posted by BoneCrusher
Imagine going to a rice meet in that focus with not ONE sticker and no fart can and coming home with a fistful of cash!:idea:

This is true... and more importantly, you wouldn't even NEED a fart can on the back... you actually have a legitimate American V8 under that hood making a truly awesome sound...

I mean it would look out of place on a Focus, but it would definitely sound awesome! :)

DiamondWraith

Originally posted by bongofish
Then why are you in a V6 coupe? :rolling:

Heavy cars have disadvantages in handling, braking and acceleration... basically in every single parameter used to measure performance.

"Tight" looking is subjective and can't be argued, but the Cobra doesn't really look any different than your V6.

Why don't you just buy an SUV? They are certainly big and heavy.

Not by choice of course! My parents didn't want my first car to be an SVT... which if it was I probably wouldn't be here today. Anyhow, I'm looking for one at the moment and I should be able to afford a good low mileage topless 96/97. Insurance also doesn't go up a dime. :)

The Cobra looks completely different from a V6.... When one pulls up next to me I get chills... More people than you realize notice that it's not just another mustang.

SUVs should be banned from the road... I've almost been rearended by several and I quit seeing a girl after she almost killed me twice in her explorer. Dangerous vehicles that love to roll.

-DW

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread