Code after exhaust Install Question

TruBlue

Established Member
Just put a Bassani exhaust system on and got a code for the #1 bank lean anyone else ever have this problem after installing a new exhaust? It was a new mid pipe with cats and cat back system.
Thanks guys.

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Need more info in order to be of more help to you. When I installed my Bassani, no codes but I did have a small leak and had to loosen the header connections and re-torque to correct that.

Do you still have the egr set up? If so, check your vacuum lines from the exhaust to the DPFE, they are different diameters and can be hooked up backwards. The lean bank codes are usually a vacuum leak but can also be caused by any unmetered air entering the intake system, i.e. loose clamp on the intake, dirty maf, etc.

Have you done anything else to the truck just before or after the install.

TruBlue

Established Member
Nothing else has been done to the truck except the installation of the exhaust. The shop checked the code and it was a code for lean on bank 1 and they cleared it and it has not come back yet. There were no codes before the exhaust, the check engine light came on is how we found code.

Thanks.

TruBlue

Established Member
Found out it was a small exhaust leak were the mid-pipe bolts to the manifold on the #1 bank. The nuts were bottoming out before the flange was pulling the bevel completely tight against the manifold causing a small exhaust leak. Seems the Bassini mid-pipe had a bigger flange opening than the manifold.

Thanks for the help guys.

clbailey

Established Member
Found out it was a small exhaust leak were the mid-pipe bolts to the manifold on the #1 bank. The nuts were bottoming out before the flange was pulling the bevel completely tight against the manifold causing a small exhaust leak. Seems the Bassini mid-pipe had a bigger flange opening than the manifold.

Thanks for the help guys.

I had the same problem and swapped to bolts to tighten it up better after adjusting it, which is why I asked.

TruBlue

Established Member
The exhaust shop said that was worst fitting exhaust they have ever had to install, and it gave them the most problems. They had cheap kits that fit better.

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
The exhaust shop said that was worst fitting exhaust they have ever had to install, and it gave them the most problems. They had cheap kits that fit better.

Seriously? I installed my own with hand tools and a floor jack. I READ the instructions and it went smooth as butter. The thing to remember is that these are equal length headers and all of the others are not. Therefore there is more pipe in a smaller space and it gets cramped. My guess is they had to take more time and do more work than they thought they would need to and profit took a hit.

Yes, I had to readjust one side because of a small tick leak, but if I had a lift like the shops, would have been easy to get right the first time.

Just saying, don't believe the stuff that these shops feed you...

TruBlue

Established Member
I was standing in the shop and watched the guys install the exhaust after reading the instructions. It was the mid-pipe flair that was to big to mate up to the stock header and the flange was bottoming out against the header before the nuts would tighten up and seal the flair to the header.

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
I was standing in the shop and watched the guys install the exhaust after reading the instructions. It was the mid-pipe flair that was to big to mate up to the stock header and the flange was bottoming out against the header before the nuts would tighten up and seal the flair to the header.

Thanks for the clarification.

Something sounds off to me, like maybe they sent you a mismatched or incorrectly boxed part or even a factory defect. Not to say it hasn't happened to others, I can only go by my experience and what I read about the experiences of others. Just glad that mine did not have that problem as I would not have been able to complete the install by myself and probably would have to tow to a shop.

It adds another perspective to what I now think I know (not much) and will help in the future when I assist in the install for my friends.

TruBlue

Established Member
Not a problem. I am just getting started with this whole Lightining learning curve so everything about it is all new to me. But I am not new to Ford performance.

Users who are viewing this thread