Coil-overs are in

Smrgol

Well, I decided to ditch the H&R's up front and I installed a set of Maximum Motorsports coil-overs last weekend. The installation went nice and smooth and the setup feels fantastic. I adjusted the ride height this morning to get it right where I want it.

The MM kit is a nice kit. It's got great fit and finish and the installation was very painless. With the shorter H&R springs up front I only had to drop the sway bar and brake caliper to get enough room to pop the coils out. Then I just compressed the strut and tilted it out from the fender. I didn't have to file the strut so I left it attached to the spindle while I put the C/O kit on.

I'm using 250 lb/in spring right now. I wanted comparable performance to the H&R's and better ride quality. The ride is so different it's disconcerting sometimes. I never *really* understood what "harsh" meant with the stock setup :). This spring rate is nice but I might go a little stiffer in a couple of months. Fortunately, a spring swap is a walk in the park now ;).

The MM kit weighed just under 10 pounds total, both sides, with springs. The H&R springs with isolators, both sides, weighed 26 pounds.

Here's a comparison picture of the setups: Height Difference. The top picture is stock, the middle picture is with H&R's all around, and the bottom is where I set it with the coil-overs.

jonas

Established Member
welcome to the club :)
try running 350 front 450 rear

its a tad harsher than stock and I mean tad!!!
still much much better than the hrs that make my kidneys flip every time we drive over rough roads :)

Smrgol

Originally posted by jonas
welcome to the club :)
try running 350 front 450 rear

its a tad harsher than stock and I mean tad!!!
still much much better than the hrs that make my kidneys flip every time we drive over rough roads :)

Yep, yep. I've got a guy who wants to sell me his 400 lb/in too :).

I wanted to put off getting new struts (or having the stock struts revalved) as long as possible. I also don't want to chip teeth :D. I know the 350's are great for the track but they are a tad stiff for me for my daily drive.

I dunno. Give a month or two. Might change my mind ;).

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by dwtalso
I know the 350's are great for the track but they are a tad stiff for me for my daily drive.

I have 425's with race prepped struts and don't think they are to stiff at all for a daily driver. I would suggest not using anything less then 350 for the front.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
I would suggest not using anything less then 350 for the front.

I agree and think it is the minimum rate in the front for our cars. The ride with a 350 is no different than stock until you turn. ;-)

I took a guy for a ride today with the 375/575 (lowest I have) and he was impressed with the smoothness and how quiet they were on fairly crowned and marked roads. In our never ending construction areas around here I will not run the 425/650 setup but I do run the 400/600 as my daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread