Coil Pack retaining clips

scott_0

Established Member
I broke one of mine 3yrs ago, it's never been an issue with for me........

viperakron

Established Member
I broke the piece inside the connector that hooks over the nub on the male end of the coil. Had a bitch of a time getting them off the coil, what's the trick? I ended up buying the connector from Ford but now have to splice it on. Wires on the replacement are much larger gauge than harness?

Blazing Boss

yeah i'm not showing a seperate clip, so if its part of the wiring connector it comes with the replacement pigtail.

WPT - 391 is the motorcraft #

9U2Z 14S411-EA is Ford #

Sorry to resurrect this thread, for those who are still looking for the specific part number (Motorcraft P/N) for the "little red retaining clip" that easily breaks when replacing coils/spark plugs, here it is: "WPT-931"... not "391"

I think there may have been a typo in the post earlier. ;-)

Here is a direct link as well to the FordParts.com site: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...search=true&year=2012&make=Ford&model=Mustang

Last edited:

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Sorry to resurrect this thread............... This is for the entire pigtail....
part# 9U2Z14S411EA Retail $36.75 Sell $25.36ea.
Factory Part Number- www.silverstatefordparts.com. Click on the search button. Go to the box labeled 'Search by Part Number or Keyword'. Do not use the year/make/model boxes. Enter the part number in the part number field, select make from the drop down menu and search. Follow the prompts from there. You will need to make sure that your profile is complete and accurate or the system won't let you order. Please be sure to include your VIN when ordering or your part will not be returnable.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
I brought this back because I have searched the entire world wide web, youtube, etc. and can't find anything at all on dealing with the coil retaining clips. I really enjoyed breaking all 8 of them and then paying several hundred dollars a few years ago to get it all fixed, only to just break one of them a few days ago. I searched this site over and over, but every word I used was "too" common. What I really am trying to find out is if there is a tool to reach up under the edge of the plug to disengage the plastic loop that latches onto the barb on the coil itself.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Oh come on.....someone has had to have broken these .......lol...... No one has any input on how to unhook them without breaking them?

TEG-84

Established Member
I just push the red tab out...then push the black portion down and it pops right out. I learned that after I broke 2 of them! lol

TEG-84

Established Member
Sorry to resurrect this thread, for those who are still looking for the specific part number (Motorcraft P/N) for the "little red retaining clip" that easily breaks when replacing coils/spark plugs, here it is: "WPT-931"... not "391"

I think there may have been a typo in the post earlier. ;-)

Here is a direct link as well to the FordParts.com site: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...search=true&year=2012&make=Ford&model=Mustang

Ya, and you DO NOT have to use those green cables or do any crimping/soldering! Just unhook the connector from your stock and the new connector..slide the wires in and reassemble. You will be good to go!

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Thanks...!!!!!!! lol.... I was sliding the red piece back and forth but it didn't seem to really have any effect on anything. I guess that allows the black portion to be pushed down. Man Thanks....!!

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Ya, and you DO NOT have to use those green cables or do any crimping/soldering! Just unhook the connector from your stock and the new connector..slide the wires in and reassemble. You will be good to go!

Ahhhhhh.... I had a shop do that several years ago for me. Any advice on taking the plug apart. Several years ago, when I had the 8 new pigtails in my hand, I could not really see how to take it apart and put it back together on my wires. I installed an entire supercharger myself, and was completely stumped by those plugs...lol

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Yay...!! lol... I know how to unhook the coil retaining clip now without breaking it. Perhaps the rest of the world knows this already, but I didn't and really pretty much anyone I asked didn't know how to do it either. Usually, someone will say... Oh you just slide the little red thing up and the plug just slides right off... WRONG..!!

Yes you do slide the red "thing" up first, then that allows you to push in on the black piece that the red thing just slid out of. If you don't push in on the black piece, the plug is still latched to the barb on the coil itself. If you try to force the plug off with out pushing the black piece in first, you will break the latching mechanism.

Last edited:

SilverCoyote

Established Member

TEG-84 ... you solved the mystery on how to unhook the clip...lol. How do you swap the broken plug ends? I have been trying to figure out how to take the plug apart, but I can't figure it out. I bought the Lisle "Wire Terminal Took Kit" part number 57750 and have been poking and prodding on the plug, but I can't get it apart.

TEG-84

Established Member
TEG-84 ... you solved the mystery on how to unhook the clip...lol. How do you swap the broken plug ends? I have been trying to figure out how to take the plug apart, but I can't figure it out. I bought the Lisle "Wire Terminal Took Kit" part number 57750 and have been poking and prodding on the plug, but I can't get it apart.

Lol, glad it helped! If you only broke the red clip and not the black part .... you just pull the old one out and the new one should slide right in.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Lol, glad it helped! If you only broke the red clip and not the black part .... you just pull the old one out and the new one should slide right in.

Oh no....lol.... I broke the black piece..... all 8 of them. I slid the red part up, then proceeded to pop the plug off, ignoring the little snapping sound and I couldn't see the little black piece falling onto valve cover. Of course, when I went to put everything back together, I realized what had happened. The plug wouldn't stay seated all the way then. I temporarily worked around by putting a zip tie around top of coil, then another zip tie around that and thru the wires on top of the plug and tightened them down. Wasn't exactly pretty, but it worked until I got them replaced.

I broke the 8 a few years ago. I just recently broke the single one.

Last edited:

j-wag

I broke a red clip the other day when changing out my spark plugs. But I believe I found the connector including the red retaining clip on Digikey for $2.34 a pop, way cheaper than buying them through Ford since they are so easy to break.

I believe the connector w/retaining clip is a Molex MX-150 with a p/n of 0334710306.

Molex calls the red clip a CPA and has a p/n of 336110001, but I haven't had any luck finding this in stock anywhere.

**NOTE**: I'll report back whether this is in fact a direct replacement when I get them in hand later this week.

Here are the links:

Connector on Digikey

Connector Drawing

Molex CPA Install Guide

7Lemons

Established Member
I broke a red clip the other day when changing out my spark plugs. But I believe I found the connector including the red retaining clip on Digikey for $2.34 a pop, way cheaper than buying them through Ford since they are so easy to break.

I believe the connector w/retaining clip is a Molex MX-150 with a p/n of 0334710306.

Molex calls the red clip a CPA and has a p/n of 336110001, but I haven't had any luck finding this in stock anywhere.

**NOTE**: I'll report back whether this is in fact a direct replacement when I get them in hand later this week.

Here are the links:

Connector on Digikey

Connector Drawing

Molex CPA Install Guide

Thanks man you just saved me about 60 bucks! lol a thread that keeps getting resurrected! I'm going through this now and I just need the red clips, which you can't get by themselves (the links provided here above are all for the whole pigtail - which are ~$25/pc). I'll buy these from Digikey and just use the red clips from them. J-wag, you never reported back - I assume they worked?? Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread