Coilover install difficulty?

Slo Poke

Established Member
I am thinking about buying some MM coilovers and I was wondering how hard the install is. I have already installed the CC plates and I have installed 2 sets of springs so aside from removing the old springs how hard is it?

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Slo Poke said:
I am thinking about buying some MM coilovers and I was wondering how hard the install is. I have already installed the CC plates and I have installed 2 sets of springs so aside from removing the old springs how hard is it?

If you installed the CC plates and springs you will have no problems with the coilovers. They are easier to assemble and install than swapping the springs.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
if you have the bilstiens you need to send them to mm to get them grooved. if you have the koni's or tokico's you will need to modify them for the coil-overs, some grinding or machining is involved which can be done or send then to mm so they can modify them for you. either way since you are buying the coil-overs from mm there is no charge to modify them.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
racebronco2 said:
if you have the bilstiens you need to send them to mm to get them grooved. if you have the koni's or tokico's you will need to modify them for the coil-overs, some grinding or machining is involved which can be done or send then to mm so they can modify them for you. either way since you are buying the coil-overs from mm there is no charge to modify them.

Exactly right. I bought the upgraded 2000R rear shocks so there was no downtime for me. MM grooves the shock before they send them to you.

Expect about a week downtime on having your rear shocks grooved (it will be longer for you since you are across the country). Only the coupe rear shocks are to be used for MM coilovers. The vert shocks are not stiff enough.

It says you have a vert so you will need new shocks anyway. Order the 2000r shocks.

Last edited:

Sneeks2nv

Fully Built, Inc.
Established Member
hey largeorangefont, how much were the 2000r shocks if you dont mind me asking? i will be doing the same thing and was wondering if i should send them my old shocks or just buy new ones. thanks and slo poke sorry for jumping in on your thread.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Sneeks2nv said:
hey largeorangefont, how much were the 2000r shocks if you dont mind me asking? i will be doing the same thing and was wondering if i should send them my old shocks or just buy new ones. thanks and slo poke sorry for jumping in on your thread.

I paid like $110 each I believe.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
FYI, the 2000R Bilsteins I received from MM also had the bottom eylet welded (reinforced) in addition to having the groove cut.

Slo Poke

Established Member
I didn't know that I needed new rear shocks....I thought $800 to go coilover was steep. Are my front struts good to use and if I reuse the fronts how will the balance be with the cobra R's in the back and the stockers up front?

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Slo Poke said:
I didn't know that I needed new rear shocks....I thought $800 to go coilover was steep. Are my front struts good to use and if I reuse the fronts how will the balance be with the cobra R's in the back and the stockers up front?

If you already have the CC plates you can get everything you will need for around $900. You just have to shop around a little bit. Do not think that you need to pay retail for this stuff.

The stock fronts are fine to use, and they do not need to be grooved. The balance will be fine when using the stock struts and the stiffer rear shocks. It is going to be like driving a different car. It is amazing.

You wont want to go over 375# springs in the front and the cobra R rears can handle whatever spring you want.

I have 375# fronts and 600# rears, and the car feels great. Since the vert is a lil heavier, I would consider similar rates. 350# or 375# front and 575# rear will give you a little better ride if you are not as agressive.

Ashley

Last edited:

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
I just had the M/M coil overs installed on my '04 Cobra. Also got M/M full length welded subframe connectors, M/M caster/camber plates, and Bilstein Sports. The car feels good, but I currently have no clue re: its handling limits.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
99 KOBRA said:
I just had the M/M coil overs installed on my '04 Cobra. Also got M/M full length welded subframe connectors, M/M caster/camber plates, and Bilstein Sports. The car feels good, but I currently have no clue re: its handling limits.

Yea, I haven't come close. It handles alot better than I can drive it... thats all I know.

racebronco2

Established Member
i am running the 400lbs fronts and 600lbs rear with the stock front sway bar and the 29mm eibach rear swaybar. i went to an open track event and was cautous going into the turns too fast cause i have the bigger rear bar and did not want to loop it. it was only the second time at this track for me and it handles better so far but have not taken it. the biggest improvement was going over a rise/hill before the car would get light and if i got on the gas too early the rear tires would break loose. with the new set-up i can get on the gas before the rise/hill and the car is solid, i don't even notice the rise anymore except that it goes to the right a little after the crest.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
racebronco2 said:
i am running the 400lbs fronts and 600lbs rear with the stock front sway bar and the 29mm eibach rear swaybar. i went to an open track event and was cautous going into the turns too fast cause i have the bigger rear bar and did not want to loop it. it was only the second time at this track for me and it handles better so far but have not taken it. the biggest improvement was going over a rise/hill before the car would get light and if i got on the gas too early the rear tires would break loose. with the new set-up i can get on the gas before the rise/hill and the car is solid, i don't even notice the rise anymore except that it goes to the right a little after the crest.

You were saying the the 99-01 cobra rear sway bar was larger than the 03-04 bar right?

Users who are viewing this thread