Coilovers and Panhard bar install. Should I tackle myself?

teejay

Established Member
On a 2011 GT500 how hard is it to do a coilover swap and panhard bar install? Found a good how-to install on the panhard bar. Doesnt seem too difficult. I know it depends all on ability. I would rate my self as "average" being mechanically inclined. Temped to try it myself.

As I am being quoted $600 (including alignment) from a local shop in Austin, TX for the install. And keep thinking that the $500 could be saved towards more upgrades.

Also, do I need 07-10 strut mounts as I have read the 2011 are different. The coilovers are eibach 35115.711 (07-10). I have the SVTPP. So I assume I have these strut mounts. http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com.../m-18183-c.htm

ShakeNBake

Established Member
On a 2011 GT500 how hard is it to do a coilover swap and panhard bar install? Found a good how-to install on the panhard bar. Doesnt seem too difficult. I know it depends all on ability. I would rate my self as "average" being mechanically inclined. Temped to try it myself.

As I am being quoted $600 (including alignment) from a local shop in Austin, TX for the install. And keep thinking that the $500 could be saved towards more upgrades.

Also, do I need 07-10 strut mounts as I have read the 2011 are different. The coilovers are eibach 35115.711 (07-10). I have the SVTPP. So I assume I have these strut mounts. http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com.../m-18183-c.htm

I Say go for it. Just take you're time and don't cut any corners also I'm in the same boat i wanted coilovers also. Which set did you chose? there has got to be a DIY for a Coilover job on a 500. Best of luck!

CompO_Eric

Arch Enemy of the Prius
Established Member
I did the Coils, Shocks, dampers, panhard and camber plates on my 05 GT. Pretty simple man, but I did mine on a 2-post lift. I Adjusted the panhard to the same length as the stocker when I took it out and also did the camber plates to get the correct toe for the alignment guys... Not sure how much different the 2011 is from the 05-09 S197.

I had the rear end done in about an hour.. .the front was a little harder... because my cheap spring compressor stripped its threads on the driver side damper (last one :cuss:).

So I went to Pep boys and when I was checking out a new coil compressor the guy went on and on about how I shouldn't be doing this since they offer the service and how its dangerous, etc. I told him three times that I had one damper left and finally had to go off on him. Its dangerous of your stupid, but this is the third car I've lowered and its really simple when you have common sense... :-D

I know his reasoning though... 20-something year old kid... long hair.... probably thought it was on a Honda.

Last edited:

CompO_Eric

Arch Enemy of the Prius
Established Member
If you didn't get it from the last post, Be careful on changing the coils with a compressor... at least aim it away from your face if something doesn't feel right. :idea:

teejay

Established Member
I Say go for it. Just take you're time and don't cut any corners also I'm in the same boat i wanted coilovers also. Which set did you chose? there has got to be a DIY for a Coilover job on a 500. Best of luck!

I got the Eibach Pro Street S coilovers. They are height adjustable. But, not adjustable for dampening. I figured for my daily driver it was more important to get the ride height set than to be able to firm up the shocks for the 4 times I year I go to the track. Got them for a good price online. Also went with a BMR adjustable panhard bar.

6-Speed

Established Member
I had the rear end done in about an hour.. .the front was a little harder... because my cheap spring compressor stripped its threads on the driver side damper (last one :cuss:).
Did you get the cheap spring compressor from Harbor Freight? :nonono:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member

:lol1: There are some things I don't mind getting from Harbor Fail, but a coil spring compressor isn't one of em. :kaboom:

OP; the panhard is a piece of cake. The front struts and coils can be a bit dicey, but if you take your time and have access to air or at least an electric 1/2 impact, someone with basic knowledge and experience of hand tools and mechanics should be able to pull off the entire job.
I recently did my upper, upper mount, panhard, panhard brace, springs, struts, shocks and C/C plates and it took me about 3 or 4 hours total. I didn't even fire up my compressor, just used my cordless impact and I don't have access to lift. While my experience and skill level with mechanics is quite a bit above average, there's not a whole lot going on with any of that work that involves any kind of special skill or tooling other than the coil compressor itself. Give it a go and if you run into problems, jump right on here and find the answers. Trust me, there here. You can find just about anything you need on this board and if its not here, someone will put it here if you ask for it.:beer:

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
I did my coilovers and panhard bar and all my other suspension mods. the only thing I have left to install is my LCA and that probably would be the hardest thing to install suspension wise if you're doing it with a jack and some jack stands in your garage due to where it's at. Go for it. It's pretty straight forward and there's no major issues. Make sure you get some caster/camber plates for the coilovers.

CompO_Eric

Arch Enemy of the Prius
Established Member

Yeah, but surprisingly it did a WRX, a GTi and broke on one of my two dampers. :kaboom:

I was running it down slowly with the air rachet and it stripped at the top... so I was lucky it didn't let go half way through... even though the other one was fine. :thumbsup:

CompO_Eric

Arch Enemy of the Prius
Established Member
I also want to add follow the instructions and torque every bolt... I believe you torque them under load? Sadly, I lowered the GT in Summer of 2009 and can't remember...

2blown

Established Member
I did my coilovers and panhard bar and all my other suspension mods. the only thing I have left to install is my LCA and that probably would be the hardest thing to install suspension wise if you're doing it with a jack and some jack stands in your garage due to where it's at. Go for it. It's pretty straight forward and there's no major issues. Make sure you get some caster/camber plates for the coilovers.

those LCAs are a piece a cake bro. did mine in like 1.5 hr WITH dealing with those damned Race Star offset washers :nonono:

rdsnk46

Established Member
Setting the ride height in the front cna be a PITA all depending on how they adjust. My QA1's had a large nut that spun. Some come with a hub and tool to raise and lower. Mine we had to use a large par of plumbers channel locks and a rag to spin the nut.

Under pressure it can be hard to fine tune the adjustment with out the proper tools. Count rotations but dont forget to compesate for drivers weight during driving / racing, this step is very important when setting ride height. You want to set the passenger side to desired height first and then sitting the drivers seat and have a friend measure until the passenger side and drivers side are the same with you in the car. It will be very close. If my memory serves me it was less than 3 turns difference from side to side to be level with me in the car.

GOOD LUCK! I hope my info helps your install!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread