Coilovers in front, Springs in back?

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Anyone have a set up like this? I'm considering doing coilovers in the front and leaving my eibach pro springs in the rear. I can't seem to get my stance right. I like the height of the eibachs in the rear, but the front was much too high. I cut a coil in the front, and now it scrubs going over bumps and what not.

Any draw backs to this set up? From the research I've done, coilovers are the best way to go anyway. Just making sure before I dive into something else..

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Last edited:

Stang Lover

Established Member
This is my car on UPR adj coil overs in the front with H&R SS springs in rear. Hope this helps. Ride quality is good but I also have an IRS too.

image-3_zps635b9950.gif

IMG_1127_zps8b2eebd6.gif

photo10_zps9afec610.gif

photo9_zps0cae1b74.jpg

Last edited:

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Yeah that does. He said that the coilovers are UPR. Are yours just like the ones that this guy is selling?? The sleeves or whatever??

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
I just don't want to buy something that could potentially be...crap lol. Idk. I've heard good and bad things about the sleeves. The only really bad things I've heard/read are of the people who used their stock struts. So I should be okay I would think with my eibach struts..

188slo50

Mustang GOD wana b
Established Member
If it sits like what your sig shows than that looks perfect that way. If you run ISO's in the front it will lift it a 1/2" or so, might help you stop scraping.

Stanger00

Established Member
I use Tokico drag struts with my UPR coil overs but I am running a 12" 225lb spring. Hitting a decent dip in the road and they bottom out, sounds like the strut tower is being destroyed.

Not all struts work with these. Find out what the OD is for your struts and you may need to knock off a dust cap if its tack welded on.

Another issue people have had is the spring rubbing the treades off of the sleeve. I havent noticed any.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
If it sits like what your sig shows than that looks perfect that way. If you run ISO's in the front it will lift it a 1/2" or so, might help you stop scraping.

I might need to buy some isos then because I'm not running them. That might be just enough to help. It looks great. But drives terribly. If I take a curve too fast or hit the slightest bump it bottoms out in the front. Drives me crazy.

The Dark Knight

Established Member
I'll be interested to see what you come up with in the end. I'm contemplating the issue you have here as well. The only difference is I don't want to be that low. I live on a short piece of graveled country road and I just can't see sitting real low. Plus I think I need to replace my front struts anyway...

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
I'll be interested to see what you come up with in the end. I'm contemplating the issue you have here as well. The only difference is I don't want to be that low. I live on a short piece of graveled country road and I just can't see sitting real low. Plus I think I need to replace my front struts anyway...

The reason I'm putting in coil overs is because I need to raise the front end some lol. The font end of my car is too low. I live in the mountains and EVERY SINGLE curve I go around now, my drivers side front wheel scrubs up into the wheel well. It's driving me crazy. I figured with coil overs (instead of burning through springs trying to get the right height) I could just adjust it to where I want it and just leave it. Ya know? But the coil overs in that link aren't full coil overs. They are just the sleeves that go over the struts; and I'm not sure if they are safe or what people think of them.

Stanger00

Established Member
You have progressive springs and you cut them? Those are the only springs that shouldnt be cut. You can cut coils off of linear springs and still maintain similar performance but progressives will suffer and it seems that is what happened with yours.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
You have progressive springs and you cut them? Those are the only springs that shouldnt be cut. You can cut coils off of linear springs and still maintain similar performance but progressives will suffer and it seems that is what happened with yours.

I'm not sure if they are progressive or linear. They are the eibach pros for gt's.

I've got some of those 2 way spring lox from advance auto that can be used to raise and lower the car. It's not safe to use them to lower a car but to use them to raise it back up isn't a bad idea. After work, I think I will try and install them and see what they do. I just need to lift it about half an inch and it will be perfect.

Stanger00

Established Member
I'm not sure if they are progressive or linear. They are the eibach pros for gt's.

I've got some of those 2 way spring lox from advance auto that can be used to raise and lower the car. It's not safe to use them to lower a car but to use them to raise it back up isn't a bad idea. After work, I think I will try and install them and see what they do. I just need to lift it about half an inch and it will be perfect.

Eibach pro-kits are progressive, hence the name of them.

From Eibachs website

PRO-KIT | Performance Springs (Step 1) SHOP NOW

#1 Choice of Automotive Enthusiasts Worldwide!

The #1 Choice of Automotive Enthusiasts Worldwide
High Performance Handling and Aggressive Good Looks
Lower Center of Gravity — Lowers Vehicle* 1.0" - 1.5"
Stop Quicker, Corner Faster and get Better MPG
Progressive Spring Design for Excellent Ride Quality
Part of the Eibach PRO-PLUS and PRO-SYSTEM-PLUS
Million-Mile Warranty

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Eibach pro-kits are progressive, hence the name of them.

From Eibachs website

PRO-KIT | Performance Springs (Step 1) SHOP NOW

#1 Choice of Automotive Enthusiasts Worldwide!

The #1 Choice of Automotive Enthusiasts Worldwide
High Performance Handling and Aggressive Good Looks
Lower Center of Gravity — Lowers Vehicle* 1.0" - 1.5"
Stop Quicker, Corner Faster and get Better MPG
Progressive Spring Design for Excellent Ride Quality
Part of the Eibach PRO-PLUS and PRO-SYSTEM-PLUS
Million-Mile Warranty

Well that makes sense. I bought them from a guy on ebay so I didn't look into the details. I didn't even know there were 2 different spring types. You learn something new every day.

If these spring lox don't work, I might just look into trying to find some h&r ss springs. Just the front ones. Those seem like they would be low enough to offer a nice stance, but also high enough so the wheels no longer rub.

Stanger00

Established Member
I want to say the H&R's are linear and if they are not low enough you can cut them and you wont have to worry about them compressing so much before they stiffen up.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
I want to say the H&R's are linear and if they are not low enough you can cut them and you wont have to worry about them compressing so much before they stiffen up.

From what I've read, the eibach pros drop the front on average about 1.25 inches. The H&R SS springs drop about 1.75-2.00. If I can get a 1.75 inch drop in the front, that would be perfect. Hopefully I won't need to cut them.

Another question, I might try to install them myself and save money. After the car is raised and the spring is completely decompressed, what is the safest way to knock that spring out of there? Then, when installing the new springs, is a floor jack safe enough to use as a compressor to get the new ones back in? Surely to goodness it isn't a very difficult process. But if it will save me $180 for install at a shop, I'll do it.

Stanger00

Established Member
Its been about 8 years since I did mine but I took off the top strut nut and then lowered the control arm slowly with a floor jack. I wouldnt do it with a cheap 2 1/4 ton jack use a bigger one because the foot pad on it is a lot larger.

You can rent the spring compressor and do it that way which is a lot safer. It will just take a little longer but the chance of getting hurt is minimized.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Well, I think I've decided to just get the coil overs. The installation seems pretty simple so once I receive them and get them installed, I will update this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread